OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm going with flukes on/near the eyes. Wrasses are know to come in with flukes. If you look close, you may barely see one.

Im going to do the fw dip to see now... Does anyone knw if flukes can be passed on to other fish since they r in the same tank?

OP
OP
merlberg

merlberg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get the fish out and put in a QT. Do a FW dip (directions below) and hope it is just flukes in the eyes. If no flukes show up during the dip, assume it is a bacterial infection and treat with a broad spectrum antibiotic (exs. Kanaplex, Furan-2) in QT.

Freshwater Dip: Provides temporary relief for Brooklynella, Flukes & "Black Ich", Marine Velvet disease (Amyloodinium); possibly even Ich & Uronema marinum (both unproven). Can be used to confirm the presence of Flukes.

How To Treat - Fill a bucket with RODI water, and use a heater to match the temperature to the water the fish is coming from. Aerate the water heavily for at least 30 minutes prior to doing the dip, then discontinue aeration while performing the dip. Fish aren’t overly pH sensitive for short durations like this, but you can squirt a little tank water into the dip just before the fish goes in to help bring it up.

Place the fish in the freshwater (FW) dip and observe closely. It is not unusual for them to freak out a little at first. Also, tangs are notorious for “playing dead” during a FW dip. The important thing is to watch their gills; they should be breathing heavily at all times during the dip. If breathing slows, it’s time to exit the dip. Dip the fish for no longer than 5 minutes. Multiple dips may be done, but it’s important to give your fish a day to recuperate in-between dips.

For flukes, use a dark (preferably black) bucket so you can see if tiny white worms fall out of the fish (especially out of the gills) at around the 3-4 minute mark. The worms will settle to the bottom, so you can use a flashlight to look for them there as well.

Pros - Provides temporary relief for a wide range of diseases in a chemical free environment. Can “buy you more time” until a proper treatment can be done.

Cons/Side Effects - Not a permanent “fix” for any disease, as FW dips are not potent enough to eradicate all of the parasites/worms afflicting the fish. Some fish can have an adverse reaction to a FW dip by appearing unable to maintain their equilibrium once returned to the aquarium. If this happens, hold the fish upright (using latex, nitrile or rubber gloves), and gently glide him through the water (to get saltwater flowing through the gills again). It is also a good idea to place the fish in an acclimation box until he appears “normal”.

Thanms i will try this now to see

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im going to do the fw dip to see now... Does anyone knw if flukes can be passed on to other fish since they r in the same tank?

Yes, they are transmissible. Their eggs will invariably end up in the DT itself, hatch and infect other fish. Especially at night when fish sleep near the bottom.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back