OP
T

trplxj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can wire these up any way you want. You can split the whites per driver on different heat sinks if you want. I will require you to wire the two heat sinks together though. Which could cause problems if you need to remove one of them for some reason. If you have a controller you can make these as complicated as you want. Mine are set you to have the blues come on first at 20% then ramp up to 60% over 1 hour and stay that way for one more hour. Then they go to 100% for 3 hours. Then ramp down to 20% over 1 hour and stay that way for 3 hours. Then back to 100% for 3 hours. Then ramp down from 60% to 20% over 1 hour, then off. My whites follow the same schedule accept the come on 30 minutes later and turn off 30 minutes sooner.

ruppertb

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow lol, yeah i would eventually like a controller, but im not sure what the cheapest route as far as controllers would be to control led's. are all 6 of the drivers plugged into the controller's plug in box thing ( dont know what its called) or are they plugged in to a normal outlet, and the controller just has them turned off via the dimmer wire?

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so here is another question and idea, and maybe reefleds will chime in also to say if this has been done.

So in a 45 kit there are: so in 2 there would be:
15 white 30 white
24 royal blue 48 royal blue
6 blue 12 blue
3 drivers 6 drivers

So would it be possible to put like 15 whites on each heatsink and then wire them together so that 1 driver controls half of the whites on each heat sink.
and the same with the blues.

So the dimmers could be set to a certain point and then because i dont have a controller in the am one set of blues would be turned on followed the other 3 and then one set of white, the next white. and then at the end of the day one white off, and then later the other white and so forth. Creating like a 6 section dusk dawn schedual.

would this be super complicated and stupid or does it make sense. I have no idea if it would benifit the corals or fish but it was a thought.

on a single heatsink its quite difficult. but two heatsinks makes it quite easier. I would not wire the LEDs together but rather plan out the dimmer controls easier.
vdmdimming.jpg

an example
2011-03-09_TankLED_Clouds.jpg

I wish I would have done two 18" heatsinks instead of 1 48" :(

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

trplxj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow lol, yeah i would eventually like a controller, but im not sure what the cheapest route as far as controllers would be to control led's. are all 6 of the drivers plugged into the controller's plug in box thing ( dont know what its called) or are they plugged in to a normal outlet, and the controller just has them turned off via the dimmer wire?

ummmm......yes...... I'm still learning how to use this controller. And today I did something to my programs that made it so the lights wouldn't turn off. I had to go into the manual mode and turn off the outlet. I'll have to look at them again tomorrow and see if I can figure out where I messed up. LOL.

I have all of my blue drivers plugged into a plug bar that is then plugged into outlet #1 on the apex bus, and the white drivers plugged into a plug bar that is plugged into outlet #2 on the bus. Each outlet is set to come on at a certain time and off at a certain time. Then the dimming is controlled between those times by the dimming cables.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can wire these up any way you want. You can split the whites per driver on different heat sinks if you want. I will require you to wire the two heat sinks together though. Which could cause problems if you need to remove one of them for some reason. If you have a controller you can make these as complicated as you want. Mine are set you to have the blues come on first at 20% then ramp up to 60% over 1 hour and stay that way for one more hour. Then they go to 100% for 3 hours. Then ramp down to 20% over 1 hour and stay that way for 3 hours. Then back to 100% for 3 hours. Then ramp down from 60% to 20% over 1 hour, then off. My whites follow the same schedule accept the come on 30 minutes later and turn off 30 minutes sooner.

/This.

The apex is a FANTASTIC tool. Lots to learn and its difficult at times but so worth it in the end.

OP
OP
T

trplxj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it just me or has anyone noticed that a SW tank is a wire, and power cord nightmare? LOL. I have two other FW tanks and I don't have near the "rats nest" of wires and power cords.

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it just me or has anyone noticed that a SW tank is a wire, and power cord nightmare? LOL. I have two other FW tanks and I don't have near the "rats nest" of wires and power cords.

Velcro wire wraps FTW!

OP
OP
T

trplxj

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The apex is a FANTASTIC tool. Lots to learn and its difficult at times but so worth it in the end.

Amen brother!! I love this thing, but tonight it is driving me crazy!!!!!! ugh!!!! For some reason my blue lights just turned back on. I finally just gave up and manually turned off the outlets. I'll mess with my profiles tomorrow. Probably while at work, LOL.

On a side note...could you send me your profiles for ramp up, cloud cover, ramp down.....if you don't mind. my user name at g mail dot com.

If not that's okay.

Again. I can't believe how amazing my tank looks with these lights. It is unreal......every time I walked into the living room today I found myself staring at the tank. The shimmer is amazing, and with the lights only being over the tank for two days the corals are LOVING IT!! especially my clam.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 29.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 73 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 16.3%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 8.7%
  • Other

Votes: 8 8.7%
Back