Yes or no to feeding corals.

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering what other reefers are doing for feeding their corals. I've recently read a few articles where some, " Mr. Saltwater Tank" for example, are against it because he does not want to add any nutrients into the tank.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my coral when I think to. Sometimes twice a week, other times once every week or two.
I've noticed everything looks happier for a few days following a good feed :)

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Using a blanket statement like that makes no sense, Some corals will not survive without food period for example some goniopora will starve to death without feeding. They can survive sometimes a year to a year and a half with partial nutrition but slowly they are starving. All NPS corals will die without food.

I feed bacteria to my tank regularly because that is all some coral can eat because of the size of their mouth.

I do not think it is always best to blanket the aquarium with random food either and spot feeding is usually best to prevent algae and cyano in some cases. You have to know your corals and what size food they eat.

I have lots of gorgonia and they benefit from lots of feeding and will have better polyp extension. People always ask why I have good polyp extension and what additives I use. I feed.

Some corals do good with no direct feeding too...
Some will grow allot faster and have allot more color with feedings.
The less a coral has to rely on the brown zooxanthellae the more color they will have especially in sps.

OP
OP
100gallonreefer

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've fed my corals also. Algae can be a problem at times but I was surprised to see that some don't feed at all. Thanks for replies.

BigJim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You really need to consider what works for your tank. I have a low bio load and my nutrients stay low. I feed my lps a couple times a week and it has no impact on nutrients. They definitely grow faster and look healthier when I feed them. If you already have high a nigh nutrient system, your lps may already be getting everything they need.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will feed corals that I know can really benefit from a feeding......or cost me a pretty penny. LOL!

OP
OP
100gallonreefer

100gallonreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is low also from what I can tell. I use red sea test kits. Zero nitrate, trace of phosphate. I've been using vibrant for about 2 months,with carbon and phosban in reactors reactors but I've still got hair algae. I feed sparingly twice a day. Diatoms and red algae have disappeared.I have a mixed reef and most corals are doing fine. It's a 100 gallon tank with 30 gallon sump.4 inch naso tang,3 blue chromis, 1 firefish, 1 royal gramma,1 canary wrasse. That's why I was asking about feeding corals because I try not to overdo any feeding but hair algae still hangs around, mostly on plugs and rockwork. SB Reef light 32 WiFi on 10 hrs a day at 40% blue,6 hrs a day at 10% white.

AcroNem

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corals are voracious feeders, please feed them. They have their entire bodies dedicated to catching food. I feed phytoplankton daily, mixed with rotifers, nauplii, oyster eggs rotating throughout the week.

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for article. A lot of info to decipher.
yup, I like science. In short though, IMO all corals eat. Its just what coral you have and if you share it with the tank(and the fish eat it first) or just directly the corals. I have had zoas pop babbies from spot feeding them frozen mysis juice, and also froz rotifers. So for me now, I feed the fishies and higher inverts a rotating diet and try to share some with the corals too.

jimmy2times

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i definitely feed my corals it helps growth and their immune system the corals need 20 complex amino acids for proper metabolism just like people need for proper health. they get lot from the frozen food i use but i also mix in reefroids and and BRS reef chili corals love it nothing fancy just whats floating around they catch. i also use frozen cyclops and rotifers since they so small the fish just eat the big meats first

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back