Yes or no to feeding corals.

Mike_J

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone eluded to earlier, it really depends on the coral type you keep. NPS coral for instance absolutely need regular feeding otherwise they wither away and die a slow unnecessary death.

Justin Nguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my coral twice a week. First time i feed reef rodis with poly booster. Second time feed with oyster feast. 1 month feed with phytoplankton and red sea reef engnery i need test nitrate and phosphate evry 3 weeks.

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my corals twice daily, every time I feed my fish. They get a mixture of phyto, zoo, and copepods all mixed together in a soup with what ever fish food im feeding that day. Broadcast in the tank to make a nice blizzard! ! Oh yea, about 15 minutes before I feed I give them a good shot of aminos to get them in the mood!! Lol

Last edited:

Dancingmad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turn the wave makers up, increase flow/exposure, and cut the return off to keep my skimmer from pulling all those sweet, sweet, nutrients during snack time. Let it run 10-15m. Wide variety of particle size (bacterial to meaty things) because I don't have a high dollar camera (or time) to see what exactly my corals are eating and retaining. Shotgun method + this technique works for me.

There is a difference between "surviving" and "thriving". If you're having success, and critters are truly thriving, rock on(small L/SPS joke. Don't worry - I'm not going on tour). Everyone's homemade eco system, rig, and livestock is different. My suggestions is to test out foods, broadcast feeding, target feed, classical music/heavy metal, prayer dance, etc. Monitor everything when you're doing it - take pictures or make note of changes in coloration/growth/etc and figure out what works for your homemade ecosystem. A secondary suggestion would be to avoid over-tinkerage. Too much tinkering at once when you've reached some degree of stability and you wont know what works. Slow and steady, one manipulated variable :D

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This. I never target feed any of the corals. Besides the fish feeding I occasionally add some Coral Frenzy, Phytoplankton, or fish roe an hour after lights out once or twice a week

I was wondering why you feed your coral after lights iut?

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just feed my fish and add phytoplankton a few times a week. I don't target feed anything. Guess maybe i should, but everything seems to be happy and growing.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just feed my fish and add phytoplankton a few times a week. I don't target feed anything. Guess maybe i should, but everything seems to be happy and growing.
This seems like a good reason NOT to do anything different...if it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back