YWG keeps hanging around at the top, not at the bottom

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why does it hang around at the top, doesnt eat pellets, jus eats pods and frozen (lobster eggs, rotifers and cyclops). Will it never eat pellets?

KingBlingTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a YWG in my daughter's aquarium that was doing the same thing. We discovered the reason was due to aggression from another fish. Once we moved it to another aquarium, it settled in and began to act like a goby! Do you have any other fish in the tank that might be keeping the goby out of its perceived territory? If so, you might change up the rock work a bit to see if everyone can claim a new spot.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had a YWG in my daughter's aquarium that was doing the same thing. We discovered the reason was due to aggression from another fish. Once we moved it to another aquarium, it settled in and began to act like a goby! Do you have any other fish in the tank that might be keeping the goby out of its perceived territory? If so, you might change up the rock work a bit to see if everyone can claim a new spot.
I dont have any other fish.. this is my first fish

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may be seeing his reflection. Mine did this in quarantine. He was also the pickiest eater. Now he's settled in the display and stays at the bottom, and eats EVERYTHING.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it is stress related, how long has he been in the tank?

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He may be seeing his reflection. Mine did this in quarantine. He was also the pickiest eater. Now he's settled in the display and stays at the bottom, and eats EVERYTHING.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing it is stress related, how long has he been in the tank?
3 days

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reasons for stress would be related to having been captured and transported, not having a burrow yet, no other fish around, etc.
However the tummy looks full. I feel the same, its playing with its reflection. Can u house 2 ywg in 1 tank?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They frequently pair up pretty quickly and easily, so it being so agitated by it's own reflection is unusual.

BC1906

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah grab a pistol shrimp. My YWG hung around the top until I put the pistol shrimp in. It's also neat to see their relationship together.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah grab a pistol shrimp. My YWG hung around the top until I put the pistol shrimp in. It's also neat to see their relationship together.
I wanted to, but iv read a few threads where they have punched a crack in the aquarium glass. So a bit scared.

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to, but iv read a few threads where they have punched a crack in the aquarium glass. So a bit scared.

Pistol Shrimp do not punch. They snap. The snap although loud does no damage whatsoever, except maybe to its intended dinner.
I'm thinking you may be confused with the Mantis Shrimp.

Your YWG will love you for getting him a little buddy Pistol Shrimp.

OP
OP
nanomania

nanomania

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pistol Shrimp do not punch. They snap. The snap although loud does no damage whatsoever, except maybe to its intended dinner.

Will get 1 asap

Doob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

+1

Though it does SOUND like glass cracking, it's not capable. You may pee a little the first couple of times you hear it, but you'll get used to it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 69 79.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Other

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back