YWG with white patch

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My yellow watchman goby developed this white patch below his dorsal fin sometime today. He eats good and isn't acting any differently. Bacterial or could it be a sting from an LPS possibly? No other fish show any signs.

IMG_20160210_222045_hdr.jpg

IMG_20160210_221852_hdr.jpg

IMG_20160210_222552_hdr.jpg

mvm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it raised or fuzzy? Honestly look like an injury or perhaps bacterial.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be a coral sting that has gotten infected. I would start soaking his food with vitamin supplements (Selcon, Zoecon, Vita-chem) to give the ol' immune system a boost. If that doesn't work, you will need to treat with antibiotics.

OP
OP
S

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not raised, just discolored. I have always treated food with a couple drops vita chem daily. Should I increase that amount or just continue with the normal amount and keep observing?

And thank you for the responses.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not raised, just discolored. I have always treated food with a couple drops vita chem daily. Should I increase that amount or just continue with the normal amount and keep observing?

I would stay the course for now and keep observing.

OP
OP
S

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish @beachsider @Reefing Madness @bsfmaximus

Ok, for those who helped before, and those who have helped in the past. The pictures above, his patch on that side is almost gone. These new pictures are on the opposite side. There are two to three small holes. The cleaner shrimp really go at this spot when he'll let them. He's still eating good, acts normal but this is definitely a bit worse than the other side. So, looking for which route to go. As before, no other fish show any signs of having the same thing. I'm currently feeding a mix of frozen my sis, some formula two soaked with vita chem.

IMG_20160303_2230495_rewind.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be infected or just taking awhile to heal. If he's still eating well and acting normal I would be a little less worried. Hopefully someone more helpful chimes in like @Humblefish

OP
OP
S

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No white stringy poo, no nem (other than 1 inch across strawberry rock nem. And the nem just recently started opening. It's not in an area of the tank the go by even ventures into. Other things in the tank. A fungia (on the bottom and very close to the area the goby spends his time), a decent sized crosstown that was in his previous tank with him, and a hammer coral. I'm really kind of lost here. I initially thought a coral sting was probable but is a fish dumb enough to keep getting stung?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No white stringy poo, no nem (other than 1 inch across strawberry rock nem. And the nem just recently started opening. It's not in an area of the tank the go by even ventures into. Other things in the tank. A fungia (on the bottom and very close to the area the goby spends his time), a decent sized crosstown that was in his previous tank with him, and a hammer coral. I'm really kind of lost here. I initially thought a coral sting was probable but is a fish dumb enough to keep getting stung?

If he's made his den near a stinging LPS, he could be getting hit at night by its sweepers. Fish are stubborn/stupid about when it comes to where they sleep at night. They don't like to change their habits.

Another possibility is your fish has a lingering infection that just won't heal on its own. Two remedies if this is the case:
  1. Put in QT and treat with Kanaplex, as that is readily absorbable by the fish's skin.
  2. Soak fish food with Kanaplex, using Seachem Focus to bind and prevent it from leaching out into the water. This option is "reef safe", but also not as effective as direct dosing.

Back