zach_discus 220g reef build

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, so this will be a somewhat slow build. No plans to even get the tank wet till late Nov./early Dec. Originally was going to do a 180 I took in trade but just wasn't pleased with the tank (3/8 acrylic/short stand/blue back). So went on the hunt for a 120 4x2x2 to trade for. No luck but did come across a 220, hummmmm. Its kinda a odd one and not totally ideal, but the more I look at it the more potential I see. The depth is the biggest drawback at 32", thank goodness I'm tall.

I will start working on the stand this weekend using 2" square steel tubing and some marine grade plywood. 28" tall. I have a couple metal doors with glass inserts that are perfect for the front and sides or the stand. I like a semi-industrial look. The stand will be oversized a bit, because I like it that way :tongue:

List of equipment

Clayton Aquarium Acrylic tank 60" long x 24" deep x 32" tall built using .75" sheets (used)
65" long x 30" deep x 28" tall steel stand (new)
Dave ie: Peppie built me a 48" semi-coast to coast overflow with a external box for the beananimal overflow (new)
4 Jebao DC6000 pumps: 1-return/manifold, 1 skimmer, 1 closed loop, and a spare (new)
2 Jebao RW15s (new)
40b sump single bubbletrap baffle (used)
MRC MR3 external skimmer with dual Beckett heads (used)
29g Acrylic refugium with a cheep chinese LED fixture and a deep sand bed (used)
29g Acrylic Crytic Refugium blacked out other than a removable viewing cover (used)
Lights still working on, I have 6 Lumia5.2 pucks for a planned t5/LED hybrid, may just go with 3 ReefRadience Coral165s for right now (the RR option is way way way cheaper). (new)
Neptune Apex or Reefkeepers Elite, still deciding on which one will fill my needs (cost vs cool) (used hopefully)
150lbs Aquaculture Gulf Live-rock (I've used it in the past and really like the look and diversity it provided) being flown directly in to Sea-Tac airport (I guess it would be considered new)

All in all a relatively big tank, on a very reasonable initial budget of $1500

One crappy pic of the tank before I sand and polish it. They had pikes or something like that in it :cry:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very NICE Zach, looking forward to seeing this one up and running as to get a better perspective to my new tank that will be just 2" shorter and only 187g's. That's a good list of equipment you have going as well. Let me know if you need a hand moving this beast around bud, should be around town more often now that the weather has cooled off and my fiberglass work on boat is finished.

Cheers, Todd

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looking forward to it!

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I'm really getting excited about this build. Going with a tank this size allows for a few fish I have wanted but never had space to house correctly. Mainly a pr of Watanabei Angelfish (Genicanthus watanabei), a treo of Yellow Pyramid Butterflyfish (Hemitaurichthys polylepis), and as I find them mix of bristletooth tangs (white tail and square tail top that list). Lots of wrasses, gobies, andsmall busy fish to watch also. Good thing I've picked up a big skimmer :)

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd love me a pair of Watanabei's! Are you planning on having a full reef or more of a fish only system?

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Full reef, SPS dominant. With the added depth I may find a little more room for some Euphylia lower down.

After talking to the folks over at Reef Radiance. I'm going to jump on the deal they have going for the ReefKeeper Elitie package along with 3 Prostar 165 lights. Cost VS Cool between the Reefkeeper and the Apex, Cost won out. For the items I wanted automated, the extra cost for the Apex out weighed my want of bells and whistles.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up A Reefkeeper unit for a great price. Now shopping for moduals to round the package out. All my pumps are Jebao DC pumps, so will be able to control them. Having to wait till next month to pick up the lights. Waiting for the steel to be cut for the stand, had planned to have started on it all ready :(.

Plans coming together!!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking forward to this one!! :)

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so a update.......

Ended going with a 180 Aqueon I picked up for the cheep. Started on the stand last week and picking the Oak up to skin the stand this week.

The equipment list has been modded and purchased :)
Lights: 3 Reef Radiance 165's (1 prostar and 2-165e)
Skimmer: Bubble Magus BM-180ex
Kalk Reactor: Avast K1
Reactors: 2x Avast Mr10 reactors (1-biopellets and one as needed)
Sumps: Custom
Refugium: Custom
Return pump: Jebao DC6000
Wave pumps: Jebao RW-15 (giving the Gyre some time)

The sump and refugium, I picked up a bunch of 3/4 acrylic, was a 125 cube that was built using silicone instead of weld-on. So in about 10min with a razon knife, I have 4 18"x48" panels, 1 48" x 48", and 2 12" x 48" (Euro braces....sorta). Will have the most massive over built sump and refugium ever :).

Things are moving right along and should be wet by the first of the year!!

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice update Zach, list of equipment gets better all the time bud. Hmmmmm I wonder where that 220 will be going :whoo: on my way over shortly, just need to load up the Oak lumber for you between down pours.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Todd, let me know if the 220 works, if not I have another guy that will take it.

Looking forward, my order from Avast should be here by the end of the week!! Hope to get started on the sump and refugium build this weekend along with finishing the skeleton for the stand.

Moving right along, will be using natural seawater to do the initial saltwater fill up and cycle. Will than bump the salinity up over time to 1.025/1.026. Next big purchase will be the base and live rock from Florida Live Rock. Stay posted will try to get some picks up this weekend :rockon:

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well another big box of goodies came in today. Big thanks to Avast for packaging everything so well!! Kalk reactor (K1), 2x MR10 reactors, and Reefkeeper ready ATO float switch. The 2 MR10s are Christmas present so have to wait till next week to put them together :)

I did put the K1 together. Fit and finish of the raw parts are excellent and assembly was a breeze. All together maybe 20min + 1hr drying time gets you this...................

Needless to say very happy with how it turned out!!

Also did some major work of the stand and the "bones" of the stand are assembled. May get to work on it again some tomorrow and get started on fitting the Oak to the stand.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SWEET! Looks like you did a fine job with the Kalk Reactor bud, and have my table saw mostly cleared for your sump build tomorrow.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Todd, I might not get to it this week. Looks like its going to be another 60+ hr work week. Oh well, will help pay for live rock :)

As for the build. I keep forgetting about one piece of equipment. I won a 3 head SeaSides Aquatics doser when Barrier Reef had there yearly anniversary sale. For got to order them but will be getting three Avast Barrels and waiting for the parastalic ATO pumps to get back in stock. Use the doser to do 2-part in conjuction with the Kalk reactor once my corals start going. Will use the third head to do trace after the tank is up and going.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have half of the sump/refugium set-up !! Built this using reclaimed acrylic from a 125 cube someone built using silicone instead of weld-on.

It is 34 x 18 and baffled for 10" water depth and minus wall thickness should hold roughly 20g. All 3/4 acrylic, so shouldn't go anywhere :)

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very very NICE Zach, one beast of a sump there.

Cheers, Todd

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%

Back