Zach's 180g SPS tank

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I had another build log going but originally it was for a different tank and I ended up going with a Standard Aqueon 180 (6'x2'x2) instead. Will start working on transfer pics over the next couple days. At this point I have all the equipment and the tank has live rock, two small fish, and some miscellaneous corals. Well on to the good stuff, equipment

Equipment List:
Aquaeon 180g twin overflow tank (6'x2'x2')
Custom made oak stand
Custom made 40g 3-compartment sump
Bubble Magus BM-180ex Skimmer
Avast Marine K1 Kalk stirrer with Milwaukie MP810 Pump and 10g ATO reservoir
2 Avast Marine MR-10 Reactors (one with bio-pellet nozzle)
Seasides Aquatics three head Doser
29g DSB/Refugium tank
10g ATO reservoir
Jebao DC6000 return pump
2 Jebao RW-15 wave pumps
2 Tunze 6060 Turbella pumps
Reefkeeper Elite with Jebao pump controls mod, light mod, Net mod, and 4 power strips
3 Reefbreeders 165 LED lights

Live Rock:
100lbs Gulfliverock.com aquacultured live rock
100lbs of Pukani from a 2yr old system
140lbs of Aragonite sand/rubble
Chalk Bass
Red Dragonet
Lots of fun stuff from the rock

SPS dominant tank, with several wrasses and gobies, a treo of Resplendant Anthis, pr of Watananbei Angels, several Bristletooth tangs, small school of Acares chromis, and if everything is going well after that. Maybe a pr of bluechin triggers :)

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The stand: My father-in-law is a ex cabinet maker, with a fully furnished cabinet shop at home. When I say furnished, 2ft planner, 8ft long jointer, 4x8 router table with multiple heads, ect,ect. He was nice enough to help me build what turned into a monstrosity of a stand. 2x6 and 2x4 used for the bones of the stand and finished in Red Oak stained Obsidion to please my loving wife :)

Under construction

During staining, first coat

In the livingroom

As you can see it has a flat black toekick. This was to fix a mistake on my part. Stand was supposed to be 6" taller. The "toekick" is a 2x8 base the Oak stand stands on now. I cought my mistake before we did the red oak. So it over hangs the bones of the main stand by 2" and slips over the toekick to lock it in place. Actually turned out making the stand look even more refined in the end. Having a shower door company make me a set of black glass doors for the stand.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock: I have now used Gulfliverock.com for my last 4 tanks and can not say enough about how nice this stuff is. This is the first time I had it flown in. My total cost on 100lbs of large to EXL pieces was $490. As I unboxed it, I dipped everything in a 2x solution of Coral Rx Pro and than put everything in a rubbermaid tub with one of my 165 LEDs over it and let in set for almost a month, while I finished some other details. Pics of the rock right after it came in.

As much as I expected to loose the two huge gorgones. They have both made it so far and are looking great!!

I also picked up another 100lbs or so from a local reefer that was taking down his 240g. This started out as dry Pukani rock 2yrs ago or so, but is now fully covered in coralline and also had lots of remnants of his plating montis still attached and doing very well. Also picked up some pieces with several different colors of mushrooms.

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump and equipment: My sump is a overbuild and very heavy piece. I bought a 125g "cube" tank made out of 3/4" acrylic that was siliconed together. I took it apart and repurposed the material to build my sump. My skimmer I picked up used off E-bay for a steal at $180 shipped. After looking around at reactors and such, I came to Avast Marine. There kits make really nice equipment very reasonable and my wife was nice enough to buy me several toys for Christmas :). My doser was a prize I won at a local Reef stores anniversary sale. My circulation pumps are Jebao units, for the price I just could not justify spending more. The Tunzes were a impulse buy from ebay, $50 for the pr.

Well thats it for now. Need to hit the shower and bed. Thanks for checking my tank out and please check back for updates!!

OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm not photo wize and my first gen Digital Rebel has its quirks. But here are a few random pics of the tank right now. Don't mind the wires and random placement :)

Its kind of hard to see but the tank is sunk into the stand by 2". The bottom frame has been removed and the stand is now the tanks bottom frame. This allowed the tank to sit almost perfectly flush with the front and sides of the stand. The lights are in a temp position and will go on a rack 12" above the tank. Have a bunch of 1" 8020 aluminium coming in to build it. Neat stuff and relatively cheep.

The gorgoins came with the live rock and didn't expect them to make it. They are doing very well at this time. The larger one had some damage when it came in and those are the bare spots.

Last edited:
OP
OP
zach_discus

zach_discus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I can get my freind Todd out next week to help me dial my rockwork in. I have 20+ corals coming in from the GoldenBasket out of Portland :)

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking Good Zach, looking forward to getting back over to check it out. Been so busy lately have not even had time to work on building my new tank. Certainly showing some of the many positives to using LIVE ROCK, way more impressive than a pile of bone white quarried Limestone. IMHO/IME your tank though basically new is years ahead of any using all dry rock.

Cheers, Todd

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back