Zebra Bar Gobie - jaw injury

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what caused it or what if anything can be done... But one of my Zebra Bar Gobies has a pretty significant lower jaw injury. He was fine at the morning feeding, but I noticed it this afternoon. These guys dart into the rocks in a flash, so I suppose it could have been that this one zigged when he should have zagged.
I'm fairly certain there is nothing in my tank that could have done this to him. I started the system up a year ago sterile. CUC is 100% snail, no hermits. All coral dipped prior to going in. And current stock is...
Bellus Angel
Swallowtail Angel
Kole Tang
Tenneti Tang
2 Occilaris Clowns
3 Flame Anthias
7 Zebra Bar Gobies
In a 160 gallon DT

I can't get close enough to get a picture much less get the poor guy out of the DT before he goes into the Rock hiding place.

His lower jaw is ripped pretty bad, he can breathe but definitely looks lie he won't be able to eat.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he can't eat, that will be a problem, but you would be surprised at how capable an injured fish can be.

Just be wary of secondary infections of the jaw. An infection can continue to 'eat away' at injury.

gashunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its a goby make a goby trap out of a water bottle i know theres a forum here some where that a member did and i dont remeber if it worked or not but just cut the top off a bottle like like a quarter of the way from the top insert food in the base of the bottle and invert the top part on the bottom and the goby should go in there and wont be able to get out until you trasnfer him

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if its a goby make a goby trap out of a water bottle i know theres a forum here some where that a member did and i dont remeber if it worked or not but just cut the top off a bottle like like a quarter of the way from the top insert food in the base of the bottle and invert the top part on the bottom and the goby should go in there and wont be able to get out until you trasnfer him
Zebra gobies are a dartfish, so less likely for this method to be a success.

OP
OP
Lenny_S

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, just did a feeding and the poor guy came out. He was very enthusiastic about trying to eat and did manage (to my amazement) to get a couple of mysis down. I'm soaking in Selcon, so hopefully helps it heal. Managed to snap these pics. [Warning: Graphic content]
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469568669.805225.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1469568682.198199.jpg

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 54 80.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 6.0%
Back