Zinn phytoreactor

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am trying to find DIY plans to build my own ZINN phytoreactor, basically the Zinn unit allows you to culture rotifers and phytoplankton in the same tank by having a semi permeable membrane that allows the phyto to cross over into the rotifer section and allow the rotifers to feed, yet the micron size of the membrane is small enough that the rotifers cannot get into the phyto side of the tank and eat your entire colony of phyto

Does anyone know what size micron sieve I would need in order to allow phyto to pass through yet NOT allow rotifers to pass through?
This is what the Zinn reactor looks like to give you an idea
107-0765_imgsm.jpg

This is an old reefkeeping article where the guy uses the zinn reactor and you can see how the rotifers are kept with the phyto and a bit better pictures to give you an idea of what I am talking about
Tank of the Month - June 2003 - Reefkeeping Online Magazine

Basically that partition has some sort of membrane like I mentioned and on the left side is your rotifer culture and the right side is your phyto culture, The idea sounds great and from the little bit of information I can find online it works great as well, however finding DIY plans or any infor as to what micron size the membrane needs to be is all but impossible

OP
OP
T

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I think I found what I need, I will need
2) 53 micron sieves
1) 5-20 micron sieve
2) aqualifter pumps
1) timer
and the ten gallon tank and light to grown the phyto
Now that i have done a bit more research and had google translate from german I think I have a better understanding of how this thing works, Although I am not sure if I will be able to get enough #'s/ML to raise maroon clownfish babies since mine gold bar maroons are spawning again, I think in order to achieve the #'s I need to raise babies I need to setup extra cultures of phyto and rot's

CJO

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be very interested in seeing a write-up once you have it up and running!

Thanks,
CJ

redtop03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be very interested in seeing a write-up once you have it up and running!

Thanks,
CJ

me too,I've been trying to figure out a phyto reactor that would continuously feed my tank and still regrow new phyto,I've just started trying to grow phyto.....I got a sample batch from a friend and giving it a go myself,it's been about 4 days and looks to be getting darker green

olaggie01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This couldnt have come at a better time. Just bought a phyto growing kit today. Let me know where you source the materials

olaggie01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to find any of the parts for this? I'm going to build an acrylic 10g to use to culture phyto/rotis.

OP
OP
T

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHen I get all of the parts sourced and in my hands I WILL do a nice DIY writeup for everyone, ALso I will be building two of these as one will have Phyto/rotifers and the other will have Artemia/phyto

olaggie01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to use a glass aquarium or try and build an acrylic one? Reason I ask is that I'm looking at building an acrylic version and having the rotifers feed directly into the sump since I travel and might miss a feeding, etc.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes please keep us updated!

OP
OP
T

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to use a glass aquarium or try and build an acrylic one? Reason I ask is that I'm looking at building an acrylic version and having the rotifers feed directly into the sump since I travel and might miss a feeding, etc.
Ill be using a glass tank, most likely a 15 gallon for the extra height

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me one of those sump filter socks should work.

Or perhaps some kind of paper filter material as well.

interesting idea.

OP
OP
T

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a good idea. How will you get the rotis out of the tank? Using an air lift?
Do you mean to get them out in order to use them as food?
I just planned on using a sieve of the appropriate micron size and either scooping them or just siphoning the water through the sieve and allowing me to do a water change, As far as something between the 2 chambers I found a few different things, The one I lived the best was actually a sieve that was already attached to pvc type pipe, that would allow me to just drill holes in the divider and glue the filters in place...I could just get a piece of micron material and cut it to size and then just sandwich it between 2 pieces of acrylic/glass with holes cut out in the appropriate spots

Like I said though when I do finally get around to building this I will take pictures along the way so that other people can build one if they would like to

olaggie01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you mean to get them out in order to use them as food?
I just planned on using a sieve of the appropriate micron size and either scooping them or just siphoning the water through the sieve and allowing me to do a water change, As far as something between the 2 chambers I found a few different things, The one I lived the best was actually a sieve that was already attached to pvc type pipe, that would allow me to just drill holes in the divider and glue the filters in place...I could just get a piece of micron material and cut it to size and then just sandwich it between 2 pieces of acrylic/glass with holes cut out in the appropriate spots

Like I said though when I do finally get around to building this I will take pictures along the way so that other people can build one if they would like to

Can you send me any links to the material that you have found? I'd like to build this next week when I get back from my trip.

I was hoping to drip the rotifers into the tank directly so that I don't have to manually remove them since I travel for work occasionally.

OP
OP
T

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you send me any links to the material that you have found? I'd like to build this next week when I get back from my trip.

I was hoping to drip the rotifers into the tank directly so that I don't have to manually remove them since I travel for work occasionally.
The link I posted was the first link I found, There was 1 other but I cant look for it right now as I am on my phone, I will search tomorrow when I get home

j.p. harrington

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

you would really have to watch directly dripping into your tank not as far as the rotifers go but as far as how much phyto you are introducing into the tank. you dont wanna get just a whole lot

but..... at the same time you would be knocking 2 things out at once by feeding your fish and your filter feeding inverts and coral

Pkunk35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please please please update this when you can with your build! Very curious to this method. How would you know enough phyto or too much phyto is entering/leaving the membrane? is it a ionic balance?

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like its running with two air stones, what are the green pipes and black box doing? I'm not really understanding how everything works on this.

OP
OP
T

tinctorus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
please please please update this when you can with your build! Very curious to this method. How would you know enough phyto or too much phyto is entering/leaving the membrane? is it a ionic balance?

The phyto is pumped into the roti chamber with an aqualifter, the membranes are there so as to not allow the rotis to get into the phyto chamber and devour the entire culture

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 161 61.7%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 69 26.4%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 90 34.5%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Other

Votes: 69 26.4%
Back