Zip Ties and Phosphates

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I'm overthinking this... But do common plastic zip ties leech phosphates into the system? Anyone have problems with them?

The reason I'm asking is... I am setting up a frag tank and using 1" PVC underneath the egg-crate to hold them off the bottom of the tank. I'm drilling holes in the PVC and attaching them to the egg-crate with black zip ties. Being that I'm using 2 - 24" x 24" egg-crates. And each crate will have 5 - 1" PVC pieces underneath. Each PVC will have 2 zip ties holding it. That means I'm putting 20 zip ties into my system; which is a lot of plastic.

So has anyone had a problem with zip ties or does anyone think they could cause an issue? Or does anyone know of a better way to attach the PVC to the egg-crate?

Thanks for any advice!!!

mr fixit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iv used zip ties with no problem but u could use reef glue if ur unsure ive ziptied dragons breath down n built drip trays with eggcrate

OP
OP
gmastr85

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I could use glue I guess. Would probably work just fine. I wonder how it would hold up though. My snails are constantly knocking my plugs off..

mr fixit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of plastic in a reef aquarium skimmer pump impellers pump housings bulkheads just make sure u dont use antimicrobial plastics

mr fixit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make ur rack outside the aquarium let it fully dry 24 hrs u wont see the zip ties with glue n once its dry it will b strong use gel super glue ive glued eggcrate to a old mag float n it held a lot of frags its stronger than u would think after 24 hrs

OP
OP
gmastr85

gmastr85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah thats what I planned on doing. Making it and then putting it in.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as they're nylon tipped and NOT metal tipped. There are both kinds and you have to look at them. I haven't had any issues with nylon tipped zip ties and I use many over and under water.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 41 53.2%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • None.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 9.1%
Back