Zoa Only frag tank

Christopher Poore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello All!

I have a Zoa only frag tank that I am currently cycling. I'd love any input as far as dosing/feeding/other equipment.

The tank is a 17gallon 36Lx8H (by 12 or 16 wide). It is an all in 1 tank that originally was a ZOA only frag tank using a 4bulb t5 fixture. I have decided to redo the entire tank, drill it, add a HUGE fish tank sump that's only purpose is nutrient export. The sump is filled with live rock and 15pounds of crushed coral

I do not plan to run a protein skimmer on the tank and will be doing regular weekly 10-15% water changes.

Lighting is done by a single G3 XR30 Pro with Wide Angle Lense. Water movement is provided by a single MP10QD.

Fish will be: 1 Clownfish, 1 Chromis, 1 Algae Blenny, 1 6 Line wrasse

The only other think I can think about changing/adding to the tank is a light and some sort of Nutrient Export Algae like Cheato.

Love to hear everyone's input/suggestions on changes/words of advice

IMG_2472.JPG IMG_2473.JPG IMG_2474.JPG FullSizeRender 2.jpg FullSizeRender 3.jpg

The only other think I can think about changing/adding to the tank is a light and some sort of Nutrient Export Algae like Cheato.

Love to hear everyones input/suggestions/words of advice

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot of fish for that small of a tank but if youre going to make sure the nutrient export is on point, I dont see any problem.
Is the MP10 going to be too much flow? I only have a 230gyre set at random with 60% peak. Im not sure about MP10s so just something to check into :)
I would definitely keep an eye on nitrates....without a skimmer (even with chaeto) and all those fish, youll be looking at high nitrates-even with weekly water changes. Just my experience/something to keep an eye on :)
I have a 40 frag tank with all zoas/palys and a few acans/favias/leathers. I have a midas blenny, anthias, and (fake) coris wrasse. My skimmer (running 12 hrs a day) keeps nitrates below 5.

OP
OP
Christopher Poore

Christopher Poore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot of fish for that small of a tank but if youre going to make sure the nutrient export is on point, I dont see any problem.
Is the MP10 going to be too much flow? I only have a 230gyre set at random with 60% peak. Im not sure about MP10s so just something to check into :)
I would definitely keep an eye on nitrates....without a skimmer (even with chaeto) and all those fish, youll be looking at high nitrates-even with weekly water changes. Just my experience/something to keep an eye on :)
I have a 40 frag tank with all zoas/palys and a few acans/favias/leathers. I have a midas blenny, anthias, and (fake) coris wrasse. My skimmer (running 12 hrs a day) keeps nitrates below 5.

Hello there!

The sump is probably holding around 20-25 gallons of water, so figure about 37 gallons total water volume. I don't think 4 fish will be TOO much but I may need to employ the help of a skimmer; maybe I'll just pick up a cheap used one from somebody. That being said, isn't a little bit "dirtier" okay for the Zoas? Little higher on the Nitrate and Phosphates?

As far as flow, honestly I would put a cheaper powerhead in there; but this MP10 is an extra so I dont mind running it on a lower setting.

Any thoughts on the sump setup? Just rock and crushed coral is okay?
Post some pics of your setup!!

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello there!

The sump is probably holding around 20-25 gallons of water, so figure about 37 gallons total water volume. I don't think 4 fish will be TOO much but I may need to employ the help of a skimmer; maybe I'll just pick up a cheap used one from somebody. That being said, isn't a little bit "dirtier" okay for the Zoas? Little higher on the Nitrate and Phosphates?

As far as flow, honestly I would put a cheaper powerhead in there; but this MP10 is an extra so I dont mind running it on a lower setting.

Any thoughts on the sump setup? Just rock and crushed coral is okay?
Post some pics of your setup!!
Little dirtier, yes. As in 5-10 ppm nitrates. (I try to keep phosphates as low as humanly possible without them being at 0, less algae that way) Unless you have a good skimmer (because I assume you will be feeding the fish LOL) you wont be able to get that low. Granted, this is just a number that has worked for me. Im sure others have some experience running higher.
Its great that the sump is that big :) I didnt realize it would be ~40 gallons. You wont be overloading it :) and none of those fish are overly territorial.
Sump setup seems pretty good. IMO, I would get the skimmer (used or otherwise) and get a TON of live rock....like at least 25 lbs. Ive never used crushed coral in a sump-whats it for? Could you get away with bare bottom for easier cleaning?

OP
OP
Christopher Poore

Christopher Poore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO and Carbon reactor always helps. Cheato in the middle chamber also is good. Everything else seems perfect.

20150724-DSC_0743.jpg

@joshporksandwic

Josh! Thanks for your input! Mind me asking 3 questions? Also; if others could give their input on these questions I would greatly appreciate it!

1) Should I run a custom map on my Radion using more blue than other colors, and if so mind giving any insight on what %'s the channels should be at?
Or Should I just run the LPS/Soft map that Ecotech provides

2) Any insight on a weekly feeding schedule? I was thinking Live Phyto every other week and reef roids twice a week. Thoughts?

3) Do you dose any amino acids in your zoa growouts?

joshporksandwich

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) don't have radions so no idea.
2)i feed once a day. Phyto and rotis once a week.
3) i use 1 cap of fuel and 1 cap of polyp extender every other day.

Dave770

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with this project. I'd love to have something like this down the road.

Hubtech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm following this too. picked up a lowbow and stand for cheap. and just picked up a ton of zoa/paly from an auciton.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back