Zoa/Paly Umbrella Effect

KcAQUARIUMS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my own quote from the other thread:

"That is one of the mysteries of keeping zoanthids, nominatively Zoathus spp.

Well, here is a list of things we should keep in mind:

1) Lack of light or too much light. More towards low light and low flow at the same time.
2) Sudden changes in the water chemistry, temperature and flow. Higher temperatures, specially!
3) The use of activated carbon and/or GFO. BTW I don't recommend GFO at all!!
4) Internal muscles atrophied due to lack of use, to collect food particles from water column.
Regular feeding could help PREVENT the syndrome.
5) Perhaps an internal pathogen in some cases? Don't ask me what pathogen!!
6) Natural part of their metabolism. A way to clean themselves, like pooping, or before expel zooxanthellae.
7) Irritators!!! Some times the polyps are irritated by organisms living around their bases and they develop weird shapes, like umbrella syndrome. Look for amphipods and hydroids around their bases, specially at night!!! Normally, if that is the case, it would happen with more than one polyp though!

Do I have to say that the combination of 2 or more of the above list could do it too?

Most of the time the umbrella syndrome doesn't last too long when the system is well taken care of. With the list above in mind we can see what one needs to do to help their Zoanthus to get it's natural appearance faster.
Some times just giving it a bit more water flow is all the polyps need to come back to it's natural appearance. or perhaps adjusting the temperature.

I've never seen a polyp perish because of umbrella syndrome and they normally recover from it in a couple of days or so. Normally it happens in one or two polyps, not the whole colony.

Grandis.
"
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/umbrella-syndrome-possible-causes.266428/
Very good info. I resolved my issue with ballooning by increasing flow and a spot fed the non balloons. I also read that ballooning could be the zoas trying to absorb mass amounts of nutrients in a low nutrient system. I have had a BUNCH of biodiversity as its a new tank so I bet most of the algea are eating what's in the water table. So I spot fed and moved them in front of a surface skimmer outflow and they all opened and the rest stopped ballooning. I'm so glad it worked

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was moving some stuff around in my tank one day and I noticed some of my magicians doing it. So I swished my hand back and forth over they colony to create some extra water motion and this happened.

I have noticed that if I move them or one of the cuc touches/brushes them, they will do this. Not always to this extreme but to some degree.
Also, I have one (of 4 total) polyp of sunny d's that has never NOT been an umbrella-as weird as that sounds.

KcAQUARIUMS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have noticed that if I move them or one of the cuc touches/brushes them, they will do this. Not always to this extreme but to some degree.
Also, I have one (of 4 total) polyp of sunny d's that has never NOT been an umbrella-as weird as that sounds.
What is cuc? Sorry I'm new to SW lol

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I wanna know too. I figured it was indigestion. Or an increase surface area to absorb a particle we cant see.
Maybe we can ask some experts if they're around.

Why do zoas make Umbrellas?
@joshporksandwic @Triggreef @tuna_bullet

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Umbrellas idk but my guess would be some irritation. Usually they melt afterwards. Sometimes they are fine after though. That's a tough one.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'm confusing umbrella with bell shaped. Bell shape usually goes south for me but upside down umbrella shape doesn't seem to end in melting

JBKReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew what was up with this as well. I had a colony that did this. Looked almost phallic, extended and cupped at the top. I removed them from the tank thinking they had an illness of some kind. They had heads that would quickly pop up and then degrade. It went on like this for a month or two till it settled down. This was the colony as of last night. It never happened to other zoas immediately next to them and has not happened since.

897F52DD-CB4D-47A9-AFE8-9DE27975976A.jpeg

Ethan Zier

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not all of my zoas do it but I have seen many different kinds of zoas do the umbrella. Magicians are the main culprit in my tank, and its always when I'm feeding small particulates. hint hint. Just my 2 cents

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are boring, they just sit there.

Welcome to reef to reef, flow can affect them to but not like light does.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you move them down. They usually react to light par fairly quickly. I would move it down for a day or 2 in lower flow. If it gets worse you can always move them back.

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Can you move them down. They usually react to light par fairly quickly. I would move it down for a day or 2 in lower flow. If it gets worse you can always move them back.

Got it. Was thinking about moving it and you backed that idea. Will report. Hope it’s okay, as it’s bright and distinct . For some reason , I just don’t worry much about zoas like I should. They’re so hardy . I have cranked my lights up a lot since introducing an RBTA and non of my other zoas is remotely up this high.

Come to think of it , I’m not sure why I have it so high up there lol

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back