Zoa pest id help!

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys I need some help dont wanna loose my first bought zoa colony. I bought this zoa colony about a month ago and it used to be fully open all the time. Within this past week i notice a good 3/4 of the polyps closed and never opening even during midday when everything is usually open. I noticed this little slug on my glass and looked like it has little spikes on its back. I did a little reseach and the most similar picture i could find was a zoa polyp eating nudibranch slug? Anyways i sucked that one up in a turkey baster and got rid of it. Next day, same thing another little one on the glass. Yesterday end of the night when moonlights were at about 5% (radions) i saw a big one that was dark brown and black on my zoa colony! So i sucked it up and inspected it a little more before flushing it.....today i found ANOTHER one on the same zoa colony...took some pics and decided to post it. Can anyone help me with some information/species name on them and how to eradicate them?!? I really dont want to lose this colony and they look awesome under my light schedule. Heres some pics of the colony and the pest any help would be great so pull through for me once again Reef2Reefers!
20170223_190921.jpeg
20170223_190907.jpeg
20170124_193913.jpeg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
zoa eating nudibranch
yup.
IME. Once you see an adult on the glass, it has laid eggs and has moved on. you should see babies on it in the tank right now, so dip it. inspect for egg spirals and remove them. check again in a week. the incubation seems to be 8 to 14 days.

you will likely need to repeat the process.

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup.
IME. Once you see an adult on the glass, it has laid eggs and has moved on. you should see babies on it in the tank right now, so dip it. inspect for egg spirals and remove them. check again in a week. the incubation seems to be 8 to 14 days.

you will likely need to repeat the process.
Okay. Hopefully the colony comes off easy i used gel superglue to glue the rock it was on to one of my large liverock pieces. What dip would you suggest? And do they lay eggs on glass? I have a bunch of little white spirals on my glass and live rocks but i thought they were the harmless filter feeding worms ill send a pic. My tank finally got out of the ugly stage and is looking really good and i dont want my corals to die off from these little pr!cks!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ill go with peroxide as well im all about reef safe methods. Did you use pure peroxide or diluted in a small container? Heres my zoa colony now you can see the little eggs all over it...so far its the only zoas affected. I have 2 other zoa clusters that so far show no signs sorry for the blue wash pics, dont know how to take good pics on my samsung note 4
20170223_195929.jpeg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eggs need to removed manually. I do that in a dish. a dip wont kill them. It only kills live animals. I use diluted peroxide in tank water. 1/4 cup in about 2 cups for like 20 seconds to a minute.. you should see pods and possibly bristle worms float up.

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
eggs need to removed manually. I do that in a dish. a dip wont kill them. It only kills live animals. I use diluted peroxide in tank water. 1/4 cup in about 2 cups for like 20 seconds to a minute.. you should see pods and possibly bristle worms float up.
Thanks for the help really appreciate it. Ive seen you around other posts and you have alot of knowledge in this hobby. I'm going to do a dip and do a manual egg removal tomorrow ill keep you in the loop and let you know how it goes!

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help really appreciate it. Ive seen you around other posts and you have alot of knowledge in this hobby. I'm going to do a dip and do a manual egg removal tomorrow ill keep you in the loop and let you know how it goes!
Thank you. Im a hack.;) Let us know how it goes.
It took me about a month to beat it in tank. You may want to invest in some revive. its a bit gentler. If you have means to set up a 5g coral qt that works too. then you can use flatworm exit every other week.

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Im a hack.;) Let us know how it goes.
It took me about a month to beat it in tank. You may want to invest in some revive. its a bit gentler. If you have means to set up a 5g coral qt that works too. then you can use flatworm exit every other week.
Hey man quick update!Just did the first dip today! Did 2 cu
1487988966003.jpeg
ps of tank water and 1/4 cup of peroxide got a bristleworm and a chunky nudibranch with a bunch of babies! There were white hard dots on the zoas not the swirl cluster of eggs so idk what they were but i removed most....the dip ended up being around 5 mins from picking the white dots and blowing the rock...will that be okay? Also i read zoas can be toxic...i was being very gentle with it but what sets them off to release toxins?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
..i was being very gentle with it but what sets them off to release toxins?
oh yes sorry. eye protection for sure. and I do use nitrile gloves. if your gentle you fine. all zoas can yes. The green proto plays are pretty bad. but ive not had a problem handleing them bare handed. some do.
Do you have other colonies in the tank.

OP
OP
ReefNo0ob

ReefNo0ob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yes sorry. eye protection for sure. and I do use nitrile gloves. if your gentle you fine. all zoas can yes. The green proto plays are pretty bad. but ive not had a problem handleing them bare handed. some do.
Do you have other colonies in the tank.
Yea 2 other small ones. Have been inspecting them and no signs of any pests on them.
20170219_180502.jpeg
20170218_132150.jpeg

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've gotten great advice here. Given that you clearly have an infestation, I'd suggest you did your other two frags also. They don't look encrusted and you're better off getting them all in one shot than fighting multiple battles only to have to repeat one a previous frag.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've gotten great advice here. Given that you clearly have an infestation, I'd suggest you did your other two frags also. They don't look encrusted and you're better off getting them all in one shot than fighting multiple battles only to have to repeat one a previous frag.
Good advice.

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had these also and added a yellow choris wrasse to my tank and he went to town eating those nudis. Six lines are also good too, but they can be bullies. At least nudis can be controlled/eradicated versus some other problems we can have in our reefs. Zoas are addicting......have fun

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had these also and added a yellow choris wrasse to my tank and he went to town eating those nudis. Six lines are also good too, but they can be bullies. At least nudis can be controlled/eradicated versus some other problems we can have in our reefs. Zoas are addicting......have fun
yup, if the tank is large enough theres def a lot of the "zoa pros" who highly recommend several types of wrasses.

Last edited:

Surfandturf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a six line wrasse! He will eat everything your dip will not get. I have a lot of zoas and had the same problem. The wrasse saved my butt. Nice zoas by the way. They look like emeralds on fire. One thing I noticed about these pests is that they love high end zoas best. Too bad they don't nuke the ugly ones lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back