Zoa won't stick to plug

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a small frag of blue zoas in my tank that I cannot keep stuck to the frag plug. I use BRS super glue and it will stay secured for a few weeks but then starts pulling off. Every time I glue it back down I kill most of the heads. Somehow it bounces back until it grows 4 or 5 new heads then it starts coming off again.
I have a green zoa with slightly larger heads right next to it and I have no issues with it.

Any tips on keeping them secured? Should I try gluing it directly to a rock?

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had better luck gluing them to a piece of rock rubble. You may want to give that a try. They seem to attach to the "rough" surface better.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the crabs are knocking it over then smash them :> then glue as much as humanly possible... oh wait.. second half is what happened to my coral but not the first T.T if only I destroyed the crabs.. jk

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
could try like one does with mushrooms put them in a low flow area in a small container with some rubble.... let them naturally latch onto something.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, does super glue damage zoas if applied direct to them. I like to glue whatever the zoa was originally attached to onto a new plug.

Untamedrose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think it Damages them........... I just think they dont have to be stuck if they dont want to be.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rougher surfaces have worked better for me in the past too. They could be sliming up on you before you get it glued down too. Then the water flow just slowly works it off. Try blotting the bottom on a paper towel to dry it off before gluing.

ksc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If possible, you could use a rubber band like we did in the old days...

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the tips guys. I may try a combination of attaching them directly to the rock and a rubberband to hold them in place. Such a beautiful blue color and trying to grow but every time it gets to about 5 or 6 heads (about 3 weeks) I have to glue it back down and end up smothering some. Maybe this will finally work.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason why i have asked if super glue damages them is because i have noticed with zoas that are glued to a plug with just glue tend to do really bad. They look like they get sick and melt half the time whereas the ones that are still attached to rock or a portion of a plug then glued do very well.

TheEngineer

Formerly icecool2
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glue has an exothermic reaction with a lot of materials. Zoas or something on them may be on that list. The recommended process it to put a dab of glue on a plug, dip the plug in tank water to form a film on the top of the glue, then place the frag and then immediately put it in the water.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
try super glue brand Gel. so far Ive hated all the name brand "reef" glues.

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Super glue has an exothermic reaction with a lot of materials. Zoas or something on them may be on that list. The recommended process it to put a dab of glue on a plug, dip the plug in tank water to form a film on the top of the glue, then place the frag and then immediately put it in the water.
Never knew that, will try that. I thought the film prevents a good bond.

Back