Zoanthid parasite?? ID help please

Jonathan Presseau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do they move? You said it doesn't come off with a turkey baster right? Have we ruled out some type of algae?

I see you have some green bubble algae right at the base. There is also some black sponge or bubble algae.

I also see the small red dots all over the rock. I am on the subway so cannot google at the moment, but I'd google red bubble algae or something like that.

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed several of my zoas look like they are getting infested with what I can only describe as a black looking round parasite? Not sure what it is but u can't see it with your eyes, I zoomed for these pics. At first u didn't trip but it looks like it spread a bit so I dipped a cpupke frags tonight to see what happens. I can't say that it's negatively effecting any of the zoas...but I don't want to wait for that to happen and maybe be proactive. Any ideas what I'm dealung with here? And insight as to what I should do to address it? Fish specific, dipping, etc. Thanks
20170110_174145.jpg
20170110_174154.jpg

20170110_174154.jpg
following. new one on me. send me a sample and I will investigate under the scope.

OP
OP
nelson.jdautobody

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dipped a cpupke of the frags last night so I can check today asunder see if it made a difference (the lights were already to dark to tell after I dipped last night). I havnt totally ruled out algae but the dots seem to uniformed...what do I know tho :) also there is no movement that I can see at all. I took a frag out and wiped it with a q tip. Here is a close up
20170110_201013.jpg
20170110_200526.jpg
20170110_201013.jpg

stevo01

R33F!N @DD!CT
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to say starfish earlier but ive never seen any that small before. I do see the 5 points, in just about all the pics.

OP
OP
nelson.jdautobody

nelson.jdautobody

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never seen stars that small before either but maybe? I'm considering just treating the tank for flatworm to start with (after I dip all the frags)....any thoughts on wether I shold treat the tank? If yes then what's the best product that won't effect coral health? Also I'm thinking about just heading to the fish store today to get a couple of natural predators for stars and flatworms...best options???

wattson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Halicoris genus of wrasses,,yellow or green are my best performers,,the halicoris strains of wrasses are non stop bug hunting in my tanks..also ,,Springeri Damsels are known to eat flat worms and other bugs too..I have all them in my tanks..dont over stock the springeri damsels because of territory issues..but these are my best bug hunters I have found..get smaller sized wrasses,,so they will go after smaller bugs too

Elementalj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never seen them look like this. Just sayin'! SPACE SPIDERS

SandJ

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nelson.jdautobody Do you happen to have an iphone? There are some neat magnifying apps that allow you to take up close pictures with your phone. I have Mag. Light and it works awesome for stuff like this.

Back