zyme 9???

kg117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told to use fritz zyme 9 on my newly started tank. Is this somethin I should do. Also if so how is it says to turn off the skimmer for four days. it applied

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello!

That product is unnecessary.

How long has your tank been set up?

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All "Cycle in a bottle" products are gimicks and snake oil. You can get the cycle started just as well by adding a piece of raw table shrimp to the tank for a bit to get some waste in there. The backteria will fire up on its own and you have a cycled tank... Don't waste your money.

Did you start the tank with live rock or dry rock? This makes a difference on the length of the cycle for sure. If dry, adding a small piece of live rock can seed the dry rock faster.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well then all you need is a little patience to let the tank cycle. Tossing in the table shrimp will help you verify the cycle is working by creating some nutrients to process.

Remember, nothing good in this hobby happens fast so take your time and just watch the life that shows up in the rock. It is amazing that after 6 years in the hobby I am still seeing new stuff pop up here and there.

OP
OP
K

kg117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I be running the skimmer? Lights? The guy that setup the tank put that frogs stuff in there. Also the rock has mushroom on it and since Sunday some of the mushroom have turned a beautiful light green color

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nothing but the return pump and flow for the cycle. You can turn the ligths on but it only helps the algae grow. That shroom should last a long time without lights. Maybe do 3 days off 1 day on then repeat until the cycle is done.

Skimmer is not needed unless you have really dirty rock or lots of die off.

OP
OP
K

kg117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMAG0550.jpg
IMAG0551.jpg

OP
OP
K

kg117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I attached a few pics of the rocks one has some yellow looking thing growing on it. It wasn't there sunday when I setup the tank.. Neither was all that coralline algae

OP
OP
K

kg117

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About how long does this cycle process take. Lfs told me to bring in water this Friday to be tested.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back