Eight foot tank!

AstroMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for that … I’ve been wondering if I can do that and not harm the bacteria.. that’s the ideal order of things I want to move forward with. Ikr on the Tonga.. he has more too. Wants me to come get the rest. …

IMG_4570.jpeg

Got the returns done today.. need some hose clamps though. But 80% done. Need the drain PVC now.
I would lose those metal clamps (they look like they are metal in the pics). They will rust. Try and find the plastic collar clamps that click into place instead.

I used these (or something similar). 2.5 years in no problems.

Glarks 121Pcs 8 Size Heavy Duty...

Last edited:
OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m waiting for pvc glue to dry and then the drain plumbing is going in.. this was me measuring the straight bits and staging it.. shopping live sand now.. very close to fill time.

IMG_4584.jpeg

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s done!! Mostly.. I need that innovative marine heater (700w) and 200lbs of sand and then some larger bits of crushed coral.. but I could fill it today.. gonna leak test the overflow box and do final cleaning of the tank.. but then fill with RODI and watch for leaks.. then add salt.. probably next week.

Then I need to get my lights hung etc..

IMG_4608.jpeg

IMG_4607.jpeg

IMG_4611.jpeg

IMG_4612.jpeg

IMG_4610.jpeg

And my sailfin is super ready for a much larger habitat!!

IMG_4602.jpeg

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lose those metal clamps (they look like they are metal in the pics). They will rust. Try and find the plastic collar clamps that click into place instead.

I used these (or something similar). 2.5 years in no problems.

Glarks 121Pcs 8 Size Heavy Duty...

I got a bunch of plastic clamps to replace the clamps between the valves.. I am going to leave the stainless ones on the drain and returns at the top (tank outputs/inputs)... I have metal on my current tank in the same spots and no rust in four years. If they do start to rust I will replace them.

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a bunch of plastic clamps to replace the clamps between the valves.. I am going to leave the stainless ones on the drain and returns at the top (tank outputs/inputs)... I have metal on my current tank in the same spots and no rust in four years. If they do start to rust I will replace them.
If they are stainless they will be perfectly fine.

AstroMelly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!! …ok maybe I’ll leave them as is.. I have the plastic ones if things start to go south.
Looking good - I bet the fish are watching what's going on and getting excited too!

I'm interested to hear that some metal hose clamps are ok to use and that you have had success over several years - I know stainless should generally be fine but I also know all stainless steel is not the same. Do you happen to have a link to the ones you used? Might help someone else if nothing else.

I saw other threads where people were warning against using them and I just decided from the start to avoid using metal clamps so I went with the plastic ones.

Hope it continues to progress well for you!

OP
OP
revenant

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot!! Yeah they're gonna jump over soon ;)

The clamps in the middle were part of this order:

I didn't end up using the tubing as it the walls were very weak compared to some older tubing I had which ended up in the final build. I'll use the weaker tubing for water changes and stuff though.. so all good.

The clamps at the top were part of this order:

I didn't end up using the rubber sleeve as it had a loose fit and I opted for some braided vinyl tubing I found at Home Depot. I had to heat up the end of that braided stuff to get it over the nozzle... it's really on there! The clamps were super nice though so nabbed them for the top seals.

I have all plastic clamping under the water. At the pump I used the biggest nozzle they came with and heated up the hose end.. it barely made it on lol. I used large zip ties over the hose, but it's really on there well without any clamps.

I performed a final cleaning of the tank last night, got some really pesky dark green algae looking stuff off the bottom which I had been working on here and there... I soaked in water and scraped it off with an old credit card. I also leak tested the overflow box..

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back