OP
Serpentman2024

Serpentman2024

Back at it after a 12yr hiatus
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Current corals are doing awesome in spite of the diatom outbreak.

Orange Oxide Zoas
Orange Oxide - 2024-04-26-3.jpg
Orange Oxide - 2024-04-26-5.jpg

WWC AOI's
WWC-AOI-2024-04-26-2.jpg

Sang Lee Colorado Sunburst BTA

Sang Lee Sunburst BTA-2024-04-26.jpg

Kirklan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like your tanks are coming along nicely! My IM 40g has had pretty bad diatoms for the last 2+ weeks. I've had one lonely clown fish holding down the fort in there. In just the last 2-3 days the diatoms have just up and disappeared. Just in time because I have a few quarantined fish and corals coming! My IM 75EXT has been slightly behind in its cycle and just now started to really break out in diatoms. I expect it will run its course the same way and will clear up in a week or two.

Keep the updates coming!

OP
OP
Serpentman2024

Serpentman2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Looks like your tanks are coming along nicely! My IM 40g has had pretty bad diatoms for the last 2+ weeks. I've had one lonely clown fish holding down the fort in there. In just the last 2-3 days the diatoms have just up and disappeared. Just in time because I have a few quarantined fish and corals coming! My IM 75EXT has been slightly behind in its cycle and just now started to really break out in diatoms. I expect it will run its course the same way and will clear up in a week or two.

Keep the updates coming!
I decided to run GFO and they're subsiding rapidly. Phosphate levels are low but was concerned about residual silicates. I am experiencing a bacterial bloom so water is cloudy. Not panicking and still running my lights so it runs its course. Corals and fish don't mind. My only issue is its dropped my pH to 7.8. Again not panicking.

The wait is killing me. I'm dying to get back to SPS but waiting for things to stabilize. Until I see coralline algae start popping up which will likely be several months. However, I might throw a piece of monti cap in there as a canary in the mine test.

Do you have a build thread for your 75EXT?

OP
OP
Serpentman2024

Serpentman2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have GOT to stop going on FB Marketplace! Picked up another tank (30g shallow rimless) almost complete system almost brand new for a steal. Couldn't resist! Not sure what I'm going to do with it. Either a nem tank or frag grow out.

20240503_093939023_iOS.jpg
20240503_012853046_iOS.jpg
20240503_100121906_iOS.jpg

Kirklan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, sweet pickup from FB assuming the price was right. Has a lot of useful gear even if you don't set up the tank.

No build thread. I may post a thread about the tanks and livestock once it's a little more mature.

Kirklan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received a bunch of LPS frags and a few fish today. Everything is opening up and looking good except for one fish that was DOA.

rioreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is that a thermostat on the wall behind the 75? Not good. I would relocate the thermostat.

Also, I have the same tank and needed to shim the two front corners. After placing the shims I studied the stand supports dimensions and how they are constructed. A shingle composite shim will definitely allow you to level it but only a portion of the support will rest on the shim where the shim is at at thickest. Also the composite shims I got at Home Depot were not as wide as the support it was under.

So what I did was used four shims per corner. Each shim is a very flat triangle. So, knowing the max thickness I needed I trimmed each the to the necessary length and stacked two shims on top on each, opposing each other. This made a rectangle that the stand support will sit on completely. I repeated this and put the second set of stacked shims next to it. Now I had a mini platform of the necessary thickness that the entire corner support sits on. For me this platform is about 1/8 thick. I also let it stick out from the edges of the stand so downward pressure is not right on the edge of the shims.

OP
OP
Serpentman2024

Serpentman2024

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
is that a thermostat on the wall behind the 75? Not good. I would relocate the thermostat.

Also, I have the same tank and needed to shim the two front corners. After placing the shims I studied the stand supports dimensions and how they are constructed. A shingle composite shim will definitely allow you to level it but only a portion of the support will rest on the shim where the shim is at at thickest. Also the composite shims I got at Home Depot were not as wide as the support it was under.

So what I did was used four shims per corner. Each shim is a very flat triangle. So, knowing the max thickness I needed I trimmed each the to the necessary length and stacked two shims on top on each, opposing each other. This made a rectangle that the stand support will sit on completely. I repeated this and put the second set of stacked shims next to it. Now I had a mini platform of the necessary thickness that the entire corner support sits on. For me this platform is about 1/8 thick. I also let it stick out from the edges of the stand so downward pressure is not right on the edge of the shims.
That is the remnants of an old security system not a thermostat. Would definitely not want it there or my house would be a proverbial icebox.

I had to shim this tank as well. It wasn't terribly unlevel but I went overkill and placed several shims. 4 in each corner plus addition where the fit.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back