55 gallon Frag Tank

dastank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a glass 55 w/stand that wasn't nice enough to set up so I came up with this idea. I built a glass tray 39" X 10" X 6" deep that fits just inside the 55. I used some scrap 1" thick X 12" acrylic to make some legs. I cut out the center support and made a removable acrylic one to install the tray and incase I need to get it out. Built a spray bar for the tray and drilled an overflow at the other end. I figured sump and shallow frag tray all in one. I have some ghetto lights on it right now, just waiting for the new T5s to show up.

55FragTank008.jpg

55FragTank001.jpg

And a few with water:

55FragTank006.jpg

55FragTank004.jpg

I can't wait to start fraggin!

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dastank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I'm pushing 800gph through the tray and it overflows back in to the main tank. I have a valve to control the water flow, but I'm not using it yet. So far I'm happy with the flow, but as I start putting things in it we'll see!

The reason I went with the tray was to maximize the light. With the corals being covered with only 6" of water I should have plenty of light.

Of course all of this is just a big "SWAG" (Scientific Wild A** Guess) and I have no idea how well it's all going to work, but I had an empty 55 laying around collecting dust in my storage room, nothing to lose. Time will tell!

Mike

HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED A TANK EMERGENCY? SHARE YOUR STORY IN THE COMMENTS!

• Unfortunately, yes.

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • Thankfully, no.

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • Other (pleas explain).

Votes: 3 3.7%
Back