55gl standard rimmed tank with center brace

90addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to stay under 1000$ including mount(s). Currently have 2 rbta's, 3zoa frags and adding 8 more Friday. (These auctions are addicting lol). Won't be adding too much more coral. Maybe blasto , hammer, torch. Something like that. Anyway, my tank is standard rimmed 55gl with center brace. Also running all hob stuff like filter and skimmer. Made my own lexan lid with hinges. Can anyone recommend one light that can be easily attached while giving me enough par in sand to grow zoas? Or because of center bracket, do I need 2 lights and figure out how to mount them above the tank? I need the 48in spread and 21in depth. Was looking at kessil ap9x for a single unit but not sure if center bracket will shadow. Any advice is appreciated
IMG_3782.jpeg

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AP9x is great. It has 2 spotlights so shadowing from the brace will be negligible with 1 light source on each side of the center brace. Also keep in mind Zoas and the other LPS corals you want don't need much PAR at all. My tank is the same depth as yours and I easily get 100-150 PAR on the sand running only 60% intensity peak on my AP9x.

OP
OP
90addict

90addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AP9x is great. It has 2 spotlights so shadowing from the brace will be negligible with 1 light source on each side of the center brace. Also keep in mind Zoas and the other LPS corals you want don't need much PAR at all. My tank is the same depth as yours and I easily get 100-150 PAR on the sand running only 60% intensity peak on my AP9x.
Do you have a screenshot of what schedule/percentages you use? I'm ordering one tomorrow!

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I'll send you a screenshot from my phone when I get home as you need to be connected to the wifi network to access the device. You can adjust the spectrum to meet your visual preference, but I have found from experience that turning up the green and red channels too high WILL accelerate microalgae growth. My settings yield a roughly daylight spectrum, with a more blue/dusk appearance 30 mins during ramp up and ramp down. Here's my thread showing ap9x on my display tank: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/red-sea-reefer-350-g2-in-texas.973117/ , I also use ap9x on my frag tank if you check my tank thread icon under my name.

You can also grab this bundle if you want to use the kessil mounting arm, which I use and enjoy: https://amzn.to/404aeFl

OP
OP
90addict

90addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
90addict

90addict

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure, I'll send you a screenshot from my phone when I get home as you need to be connected to the wifi network to access the device. You can adjust the spectrum to meet your visual preference, but I have found from experience that turning up the green and red channels too high WILL accelerate microalgae growth. My settings yield a roughly daylight spectrum, with a more blue/dusk appearance 30 mins during ramp up and ramp down. Here's my thread showing ap9x on my display tank: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/red-sea-reefer-350-g2-in-texas.973117/ , I also use ap9x on my frag tank if you check my tank thread icon under my name.

You can also grab this bundle if you want to use the kessil mounting arm, which I use and enjoy: https://amzn.to/404aeFl
Appreciate you! I'll check those links you sent a little later when I'm off work. Thank you

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's at 100%?
Yep. We are running 100% all chanels for 6 hours as a peak with a little bluer in the morning and evening. This should be fine for zoas. Now fine does not mean ideal. I do hope to upgrade at some point but the fluval is enough to have a beautiful reef tank.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back