6 weeks vacation

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I'm going on vacation for about 6-5 weeks or just 41 days, and I need some tips so that everything could survive, but something will definitely die, my cousin will come once a week to do some things, but the problems Is that my anemones will not eat for that much time, I have cold beadlets and my cousin will definitely not know how to feed them UNLESS there's big pellets, but I only have small saltwater pellets, I don't know If I can give big freshwater food pellets to them, they also thrive in cold water and warm for a few hours but it's so hot that sometimes the cooler just gives up so I don't know If I should leave the windows open or completely isolate the room, I have 2 automatic feeders so that's okay, I don't have any fish in these tanks, only crabs and other cuc, there's fish only in the fw but I don't care about it, there's always almost 0 nitrate in there, And topping up the tank for good salinity? Nah I placed big lids so the evaporated water will come back, but that makes my warm saltwater tank 30c ....

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello, I'm going on vacation for about 6-5 weeks or just 41 days, and I need some tips so that everything could survive, but something will definitely die, my cousin will come once a week to do some things, but the problems Is that my anemones will not eat for that much time, I have cold beadlets and my cousin will definitely not know how to feed them UNLESS there's big pellets, but I only have small saltwater pellets, I don't know If I can give big freshwater food pellets to them, they also thrive in cold water and warm for a few hours but it's so hot that sometimes the cooler just gives up so I don't know If I should leave the windows open or completely isolate the room, I have 2 automatic feeders so that's okay, I don't have any fish in these tanks, only crabs and other cuc, there's fish only in the fw but I don't care about it, there's always almost 0 nitrate in there, And topping up the tank for good salinity? Nah I placed big lids so the evaporated water will come back, but that makes my warm saltwater tank 30c ....
If you can, I would have your cousin come more often (unless you have a controller and can monitor your tank remotely - I assume you do) - if I'm understanding, you have no fish in the saltwater tank? That should be more forgiving. Unfortunately, I don't understand your question about the pellets. However, I would teach your cousin to feed the anemones if you can - and I would set aside the amount in bags etc so there is no overfeeding. I would also decrease the feeding to 1/3 - 1/2 of what you're currently doing.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can, I would have your cousin come more often (unless you have a controller and can monitor your tank remotely - I assume you do) - if I'm understanding, you have no fish in the saltwater tank? That should be more forgiving. Unfortunately, I don't understand your question about the pellets. However, I would teach your cousin to feed the anemones if you can - and I would set aside the amount in bags etc so there is no overfeeding. I would also decrease the feeding to 1/3 - 1/2 of what you're currently doing.
What I mean about the pellets is that I have small ones that if I accidentally drop them they fly all over the tank and get lost if not properly targeted at anemones, and the big pellets get easily swallowed by the anemone and like... Only one dose and done, not like with the smaller ones where I have to feed multiple times, also imo he should be once weekly cause my tanks don't need that much operation just dose things, water change and feed the nems once weekly, I'll try to explain him

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck. I would hire a company that actually maintains reef tanks to watch them for that long.

I just took a 5 day vacation and my neighbor feed my tanks. He's good but doesn't know reef tanks. Day 2 got a notification my skimmer was full. Had to call a different neighbor to fix that.
Then when i got home the overflow was dry in one of my nanos (ATO stopped working) and the overflow in my main was 2" low for absolutely no reason. So i spent the first hour as soon as i walk in messing with my reef tanks. The wife was not amused.:confused-face:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What I mean about the pellets is that I have small ones that if I accidentally drop them they fly all over the tank and get lost if not properly targeted at anemones, and the big pellets get easily swallowed by the anemone and like... Only one dose and done, not like with the smaller ones where I have to feed multiple times, also imo he should be once weekly cause my tanks don't need that much operation just dose things, water change and feed the nems once weekly, I'll try to explain him
The main reason (for future reference - if you have fish especially) - to have someone come more frequently if possible is that if something does die (lets pretend 2 anemones die) - that would wipe out the rest. If you have access to a webcam you could visually inspect. Take it from my experience, if something bad is going to unexpectedly happen - it will usually be when you're on vacation. PS - Hope you have fun!

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main reason (for future reference - if you have fish especially) - to have someone come more frequently if possible is that if something does die (lets pretend 2 anemones die) - that would wipe out the rest. If you have access to a webcam you could visually inspect. Take it from my experience, if something bad is going to unexpectedly happen - it will usually be when you're on vacation. PS - Hope you have fun!
Imo my nems are extremely hardy, they survive literally anything so I've never seen, even on the internet one of those dying, they live out of water for a long time, survive in small puddles of saltwater with a salinity of like .035 with 30c but that's temporary, that's why the temperature matters the most for me, when I transported them they were in water full of ammonia for almost a day or two and nothing happened, they breed so fast, but yeah we're talking about food so who knows what will happen, I'll tell him to feed them I guess, if something dies in the other tanks, well nothing happens the crab will eat anything, same thing in the fw

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Imo my nems are extremely hardy, they survive literally anything so I've never seen, even on the internet one of those dying, they live out of water for a long time, survive in small puddles of saltwater with a salinity of like .035 with 30c but that's temporary, that's why the temperature matters the most for me, when I transported them they were in water full of ammonia for almost a day or two and nothing happened, they breed so fast, but yeah we're talking about food so who knows what will happen, I'll tell him to feed them I guess, if something dies in the other tanks, well nothing happens the crab will eat anything, same thing in the fw
I only mentioned it because of the line in your OP saying "but something will definitely die"

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if the anemones will eat these pellets.

HIKAIRI OMNIVORE.jpg

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
17210600142885673575216925340787.jpg
how about this?
Don't know. Never fed pellets to mine back in the 90s but they might eat them. Ones I posted are for predators and only pellets my nassarius would eat. Seems equivalent to feeding fish product.

What are those pellets made of?

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't know. Never fed pellets to mine back in the 90s but they might eat them. Ones I posted are for predators and only pellets my nassarius would eat. Seems equivalent to feeding fish product.

What are those pellets made of?
Green- algae
Red- pretty meaty, fish
It should definitely work, people feed their anemones dead fish, I fed mine a dead shrimp and crushed a clam, gave the meat, these surely eat anything I don't know why I'm worrying about this, I'll try soon

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Green- algae
Red- pretty meaty, fish
It should definitely work, people feed their anemones dead fish, I fed mine a dead shrimp and crushed a clam, gave the meat, these surely eat anything I don't know why I'm worrying about this, I'll try soon
I'd feed just the red fish.

Used to feed mine grocery store frozen shrimp once or twice a week.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I've fed my nem in.... Months, maybe years.
Just auto feed the snails a tiny bit daily.
Have a fan on a timer to work with the lights to help cool the tank.
I assume you have an ATO.

OP
OP
littlehermit0

littlehermit0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I've fed my nem in.... Months, maybe years.
Just auto feed the snails a tiny bit daily.
Have a fan on a timer to work with the lights to help cool the tank.
I assume you have an ATO.
Don't know what ato means or what it is, but the food from the feeder will probably fall straight into the nems mouth, not much times, but now I planned to just do something else

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was out of town for 2.5wks - all 4 tanks (SPS, mixed, nem, frag) were fine - zero loss. I've automated everything and can honestly go for 2+ months. My own challenge was/is possibly running out of food in the food feeder.

Food: food feeder, pellets
ATO: Tunze ATO + RODI float valve
Automation: Apex
Skimmer: skim dry for oxygenation. Safety sensor to turn off to prevent overflow

I would recommend labeling and/or showing whoever is coming over how to operate the tank and what to do in emergency situations.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Green- algae
Red- pretty meaty, fish
I fed mine a 7 inch discus (that had just died) - the next day - all that was left was the skeleton...

Back