80g - need a few more fish, any good suggestions out there?

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to add some more fish to this tank. I'm struggling with adding fish and then have to worry about them attacking my existing fish and corals as well.
I have a 32x24x24 gallon tank (80g)

Currently I have:
2 oscellaris clowns
1 molly miller blenny
1 banggai (the 2nd one died, bullied by the other banggai
2 firefish
1 serpent sea star

All these fish are about 2"-3.5" (firefish being the 3.5")

I do have a mixed reef tank, and obviously some CUC's.

Any safe suggestions?

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really need to add some more fish to this tank. I'm struggling with adding fish and then have to worry about them attacking my existing fish and corals as well.
I have a 32x24x24 gallon tank (80g)

Currently I have:
2 oscellaris clowns
1 molly miller blenny
1 banggai (the 2nd one died, bullied by the other banggai
2 firefish
1 serpent sea star

All these fish are about 2"-3.5" (firefish being the 3.5")

I do have a mixed reef tank, and obviously some CUC's.

Any safe suggestions?
What do you like?
Small Fairy wrasse 2 or 3?
Gobie?

Cardinals so exactly what you describe by lots of reefers.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not really drawn to any specific fish. my must haves are already owned :) (blenny, clowns, serpent sea star)
I'd like a variety of colors and obviously non aggressive.

I'd like a goby, but im a little concerned about it fighting with the blenny. The blenny lives everywhere on the rocks. he bounces all around. I know gobies hang out at the bottom of the tank, but my tank is only 30" long. think i'd have an issue there?

i used to have a yellow wrasse, which was awesome. but that was when i had a 6ft tank and a deeper sand bed. yes, i can easily fix that by slowly adding more sand. maybe that is an option.

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not really drawn to any specific fish. my must haves are already owned :) (blenny, clowns, serpent sea star)
I'd like a variety of colors and obviously non aggressive.

I'd like a goby, but im a little concerned about it fighting with the blenny. The blenny lives everywhere on the rocks. he bounces all around. I know gobies hang out at the bottom of the tank, but my tank is only 30" long. think i'd have an issue there?

i used to have a yellow wrasse, which was awesome. but that was when i had a 6ft tank and a deeper sand bed. yes, i can easily fix that by slowly adding more sand. maybe that is an option.
Concern is real, some don't get along with gobies.

There are quite a few wrasse that don't need a bed and are peaceful. Like pink streak wrasse and a number of fairys. They come in lots of colors and are fairly cheap. Your size tank I would stick to 2 or 3 and call it a day unless you had other fish in mind.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a trip to my LFS this weekend.
I ended up getting (3) green chromis, (1) red finned fairy wrasse, and (1) small emerald crab

good call on the wrasse........pretty fish and hopefully he doesn't cause any problems. as of right now, the firefish are afraid of him and stay in hiding. i hope that changes. they somehow found a hole at the base of the rock/sand that they jet into and where they sleep. that's been their home since i got them. i hope the wrasse isn't a bully.

Last edited:

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck on the chromis. I've added 7 twice and ended up with one both times. Couldn't even get a pair :confounded-face:
If you want a really nice splash of color a Flame angel would be nice. Mine is in its second tank and has been peaceful in both and not bothering coral at all.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i heard about the chromis issue too. as bad as it sounds, at least they were only $10.

i've considered the flame angels, always have.....but i hear about the coral eating issues. that's the only reason i never pulled the trigger on one. but i hear success stories too (like yours)

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a nice sand bed. I'd add a leopard wrasse, one or two Halichoeres wrasses (e.g., H. chrysus "yellow" wrasse + H. iridis "radiant" wrasse), maybe a couple of the smaller fairies like a Lubbock and a brunneus. Most fairies and flashers prefer a longer tank for their darting display behavior. If you can find a pencil wrasse, they are delightful.

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a trip to my LFS this weekend.
I ended up getting (3) green chromis, (1) red fairy wrasse, and (1) small emerald crab

good call on the wrasse........pretty fish and hopefully he doesn't cause any problems. as of right now, the firefish are afraid of him and stay in hiding. i hope that changes. they somehow found a hole at the base of the rock/sand that they jet into and where they sleep. that's been their home since i got them. i hope the wrasse isn't a bully.
What exactly is the red fairy? Ruby longfin? Hooded flame?

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the only thing that stopped me from a sand diver wrasse was the fact that my sand bed is not deep. of course that's an easy fix. i have an egg crate underneath my rock, so if they do any diving, they'd be hitting that crate. i used to have a yellow coris wrasse. really liked him. again, sand diver.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a trio of anthias? They are very active swimmers, very colorful and peaceful and reef safe.

LMFisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i heard about the chromis issue too. as bad as it sounds, at least they were only $10.

i've considered the flame angels, always have.....but i hear about the coral eating issues. that's the only reason i never pulled the trigger on one. but i hear success stories too (like yours)
Flame Angel def is a beauty and I haven’t had any issues at all

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@JoJosReef - looks very similar to this guy. all red with a white belly

If it is a rubripinnis, it might become a much more assertive, bordering aggressive wrasse, particularly among other wrasse from similar complexes.
1724082693059.png

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well....i'm looking online for photos of the wrasse I have. the one I have does not have those large red fins that im seeing. the link i posted above is the closest I could find. Not sure what type exactly I have.

keithw283

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sunset anthias. 2 of them in there would add a ton of color and personality to the tank.

JoJosReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well....i'm looking online for photos of the wrasse I have. the one I have does not have those large red fins that im seeing. the link i posted above is the closest I could find. Not sure what type exactly I have.
Pics of your fish in tank? Lots of wrasse experts on here that can ID a fairy pretty easily.

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 39 54.2%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 29 40.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back