A Red Sea Nano Max (30 gal) for a nem /clownshish tank?

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to get the Red Sea Nano G2 Max, add accessories like mini roller etc, but a LFS store rep opines than anything under 40'sh is dicey for nems since once can get sick take the rest down -- 30 gal too small to keep stable and may eventually fail, IE is higher risk than larger tanks. Also are there any other cool species that can go in w Nems besides clowns or fish?

So, is 30 kind of too small for a Nem tank for that reason?

thanks!

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, common captive split BTAs have been extremely hardy and forgiving in my experience.

If you are looking to mix colors, it seems not all get along so that space could be an issue since they can get pretty large.

I do have a rose and a green that touch without issue.

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, it’s not too small for Bubble nem and clowns.
I’ve done in 20g for years.
While bigger is always better, poor advice.

Royal gramma, bangaii cardinal, shrimps….

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a Magnifica in a 24 gal cube for years. You need to know your anemone species and need to keep it happy. 30 gal is plenty to keep stable. This tank has no sump, only a CPR HOB skimmer where I keep the heater. The PH are at corners and not reachable by the anemone. they look deceptively close but not really if one look from top down point of view.
cubetankfts2009-03-28-01-jpg.3739074

cubetankdscf0824-jpg.3739073

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so what is done about flow etc so they don't go into the pipe, how much flow do they need?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different anemone species require different condition. Your question show that you are a very novice reef keeper. You should not attempt to keep anemone especially in smallish tank unless you know how to keep your tank stable and research to know how to keep various anemone species happy.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different anemone species require different condition. Your question show that you are a very novice reef keeper. You should not attempt to keep anemone especially in smallish tank unless you know how to keep your tank stable and research to know how to keep various anemone species happy.
i am novice with respect to anemone. actually zero experience.

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 30 gallon is a perfectly fine size for a nem/clown tank but just do as much research as possible because anemones aren't coral and have different care requirements while also needing a very stable tank. Get your tank to stabilize and grow coral and you should be able to keep nems

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you able to keep a reef stable, keeping a 30 gal stable is not hard. Various anemone species require vastly different conditions from how clean the water is, how much light and how much current. They may require sand to be comfortable, or deep sand bed, or rock. Even with those living on rock, certain species require flat top to perch on while other require crevices to hide foot in.
The problem with anemone is they move if you don't provide correct condition for them. Moving anemone can cause a lot of damage, to the anemone and to other animals it walk over and sting. It may walk into a PH or overflow and get puree. Many anemone carry potent nematocysts, when get puree they release the nematocysts into the tank's water. This can kill all the non anemone fishes. It can also release a large amount of nutrient into the system if this is the case.
Knowing what anemone you want to keep, knowing how to keep them happy, AND able to do this is the key in keeping anemones.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well i guess i would like to keep all the type in your post image. lol. i'm almost about to go out and buy the 30 gallon red sea nano max. But I'm not really sure if I would use the tank water from my existing tank or do I have to start from scratch? I can also buy tank water from a local coral shop. how big is the tank in the images that you're showing above?
also, could one of these fish go in a nem tank?

IMG_6379.jpeg

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a reason why box fish (or trunk fish) are not reef safe. I think they nipped at corals and anemones. I never keep a box fish.
The point is all the anemones above can be keep in a 30 gal tank. You just have to know the species you want to keep and set up your aquarium accordingly.

Do your research, pick your species and do more research then get your tank.
For a 30 gal I would suggest you get either a H. malu or M. doreensis. Bothe are sand bed anemones and does not require super high light or current. Easy to keep a 30 gal stable with a sand bed.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my 20g with my BTA and Clowns. It's a perfect size for them, and although I've had some parameter fluctuations that hurt some other coral, my nem was resilient to the fluctuations.

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another question, I understand the novelty of Clownfish hosting, but the tank shouldn't be limited to clowns, right? Could I put any fish in there appropriate to the size of the tank? also, what do you do to protect your powerheads or rather to protect your ns from the powerheads?

OP
OP
B

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, how do you keep the phosphates low on the like a 30 gallon tank? Because I need a phosphate reactor for my Red Sea G200 but that has plenty of space for a phosphate reactor.

Back