adding salt to a tank

Steve and his Animals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as there's nothing living in it, just pour it slowly into a high flow area, making sure it's not accumulating in corners or other dead spots. Start with less than you think you need, it's easier to add more salt if you're low than to take it out if you're too high.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as there's nothing living in it, just pour it slowly into a high flow area, making sure it's not accumulating in corners or other dead spots. Start with less than you think you need, it's easier to add more salt if you're low than to take it out if you're too high.
ive got no flow right now i think the dude who sold me the rest of the stuff had some of these
1717852932154.png

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the rock out & add it back after mixing, less chance of it accumulating in the rock.
I would not bother with such an exercise. It is not going to hurt anything one way or the other unless the entire volume is dumped in one spot... and even then the only 'issue' may be a little bit of precipitation.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you will find that trying to find places for coral on those towers is going to be tough. While you have the chance, I would try to male more horizontal surfaces and less vertical walls.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't (honestly) understand all of the hesitation to mix the salt in the tank. Do whatever is easiest for you at this point, but do plan on a system for mixing salt externally and prepping for water changes, etc.

Look at some other tank photos of tanks that size and make note of the rock structures.

I think most of us default to vertical walls when we stack rock the first few times and don't realize how limiting it is until we are forced to rethink it a year or two in.

Last edited:
Back