Algae identification at 5 months ?

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a red sea reef max e-260 that has been running now for 5 months. The only changes to the tank I made before this algae outbreak was adding two fish ( dwarf flame angel & anthias). Also I used one feeding of reef roads ( way below the recommended does just to test enough for a 25g, mine is 70). Water perimeters - Salinity- 1.025, ph-8, nitrites- 0, nitrates- 0. I use RODI waster, and red sea pro salt with weekly water changes of 10%. This algae grew within 3 days and i need help identifying it so i can help get rid of it thank you ! The first picture is before and the following are after 3 days. My tank has been stable with no problems so far.
IMG_1910.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg
IMG_1939.jpg
IMG_1942.jpg
IMG_1940.jpg
IMG_1931.jpg

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry my friend but looks like dinos could be wrong though it might be cyano.
Thats what I was afraid of it being too I just didn't want to admit it to my self haha. Looks like I'm in for a long fight, even though there isn't much in my tank its not worth starting over to me.

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man it looks like dinos for sure, I had the exact same outbreak in my tank about a month ago, my tank is about 4 months old right now. I beat it by sucking up as much as possible with a turkey baster and also using Vibrant aquarium cleaner. It took about 5 or 6 treatments before it was eradicated.

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man it looks like dinos for sure, I had the exact same outbreak in my tank about a month ago, my tank is about 4 months old right now. I beat it by sucking up as much as possible with a turkey baster and also using Vibrant aquarium cleaner. It took about 5 or 6 treatments before it was eradicated.
Im doing a 3day semi black out right now where the tank lights are off but the tank is not covered it seems to be working a bit. I was deciding between vibrant and dino x to try. Vibrant ingredients appeared less harsh would you suggest that first? Also where did you buy it from it docent seem to be on many places besides amazon. I was trying to read reviews and such. Thank you!

Tikosyn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any experience with Dino X so I can’t recommend it but there is a really long thread on Reef2Reef with peoples experiences with Vibrant you should check it out, plenty of people have had success with it battling Dino’s. I got vibrant from aquariumspecialty.com I believe

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any experience with Dino X so I can’t recommend it but there is a really long thread on Reef2Reef with peoples experiences with Vibrant you should check it out, plenty of people have had success with it battling Dino’s. I got vibrant from aquariumspecialty.com I believe
I will definitely be giving this a try thank you so much.

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I ordered it, i guess i should ask how did you dose your tank? It looks like i should try once a week 1ml/10gallons?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider siphoning as much as possible, if you take sand with it , the sand can always be replaced. Then put the flow to the areas
Is it all over the tank yet?
What are your nutrient levels?

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider siphoning as much as possible, if you take sand with it , the sand can always be replaced. Then put the flow to the areas
Is it all over the tank yet?
What are your nutrient levels?
salinity- 1.025, ph-8, nitrites- 0, nitrates- 0, phosphates- 0. I havent tested alk, calcium, and mg in past two weeks but they were in normal range. I did siphon the tank with sand, today i also scrubbed the rocks with a toothbrush and netted the floating debris hoping to manually remove some.Which appears to look good for now, however i know when i wake up it will be nice and layered everywhere again.

Antman1198

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had the same thing all over my nano just got copepods and they ate it all

OP
OP
O

OpenOcean33

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update I have have started to dose vibrant reef cleaner (on dose 3). I have cleaned and manually removed algae by scrubbing rocks, glass, and back sump with filters and media. I have also removed the first layer of sand to help remove as much manually as i could. I notice the sand stays white until the next days light cycle, about three hour in, and the algae start to come back full force. No luck yet, I may start another 3 day black out and see what happens.

Rich Cooper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had success with cyanoclean with a similar cyano outbreak.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHEN IT COMES TO PROBLEMS IN YOUR TANK, ARE YOU A PROACTIVE OR REACTIVE REEFER?

• I try to be proactive.

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • I am usually reactive.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • It depends on the issue.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other (please explain!).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back