Algae Turf Scrubber or Roller Filter?

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

ajtomase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to get either a roller filter, or an algae turf scrubber to help control phosphates and nitrates (don't want refugium, use GFO/Rowaphos, a bio pellet reactor, or NOPOX).

Who has a favorite that won't bottom out nutrients?

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess it depends on if you care about mechanical filtration or not. You can turn down the lighting in an ats to help control the nutrient level. You can also turn off the roller. In either scenario you lose or wont have mechanical filtration. I voted ats as I think its more controllable. I use mechanical filtration 1-2 days a week only after my coral snow treatment. When I had my reef years ago and stopped using filter socks my nitrate and phosphate actually decreased and polyp extension increased. If you dont clean or change that stuff on a very regular basis maybe every 2 days or less I think it just adds nitrate and phosphate to the water, yeah it catches stuff but never really had noticed much difference without it. With the filter roller its handled for you but I think it also is more efficient and pulls too much out.

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There 2 different things completely...

One filters particulate, along with stuff in water column.
The other pulls nitrates and phosphates, to grow algae, to prevent algae, and keep the NO3 and PO4 levels low.

Roller requires very little maintenance, 0 water testing, its either working, or not.

The ATS, requires constant water testing, so you don't 0 out on one of above.
Requires tuning the light cycle, so you don't 0 out.
Requires you scrubbing the algae off every few weeks or so.

Your asking, what is better, a vacation home at the beach, or in the desert, without telling us if you prefer dry weather or a humid environment.

In most cases, if you can afford it, people will say get BOTH.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There 2 different things completely...

One filters particulate, along with stuff in water column.
The other pulls nitrates and phosphates, to grow algae, to prevent algae, and keep the NO3 and PO4 levels low.

Roller requires very little maintenance, 0 water testing, its either working, or not.

The ATS, requires constant water testing, so you don't 0 out on one of above.
Requires tuning the light cycle, so you don't 0 out.
Requires you scrubbing the algae off every few weeks or so.

Your asking, what is better, a vacation home at the beach, or in the desert, without telling us if you prefer dry weather or a humid environment.

In most cases, if you can afford it, people will say get BOTH.
Roller will pull stuff that helps create n and p also. I think its one reason we see so many why cant I or how do you increase n and p now a days.

Naekuh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Roller will pull stuff that helps create n and p also. I think its one reason we see so many why cant I or how do you increase n and p now a days.

i don't think the roller has that big of a responsibility on that.
I think a Skimmer does way more then a roller could in pulling excessive stuff out.

I use normal socks which i replace every week.
I also use a skimmer.
I had a chaeto reactor, but, my PO4 has been almost bottoming out.

I use a refugium with a lot of macro algae like dragons breath and string or pearls along with a very slow growing blue hepnya.

And it looks a heck of a lot prettier then a ATS, but probably isn't anywhere near as aggressive.
However my Tang and foxface love the red macro algae.

UMALUM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I truly cared what my no3 and po4 were I'd probably choose the scrubber.
Get your test kits ready.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't think the roller has that big of a responsibility on that.
I think a Skimmer does way more then a roller could in pulling excessive stuff out.

I use normal socks which i replace every week.
I also use a skimmer.
I had a chaeto reactor, but, my PO4 has been almost bottoming out.

I use a refugium with a lot of macro algae like dragons breath and string or pearls along with a very slow growing blue hepnya.

And it looks a heck of a lot prettier then a ATS, but probably isn't anywhere near as aggressive.
However my Tang and foxface love the red macro algae.
I also use a large fuge. Mostly from looks but I have caulerpa and dragons breath. The two caulerpa feather and bubble grow very fast consuming nitrate and phosphate keeping them low. Very little if any mechanical filtration. In my previous reef life I found socks to increase nitrate and phosphate if not changed at least every 2 days.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 101 28.9%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 146 41.7%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 87 24.9%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 16 4.6%
Back