Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Can we take a moment and just talk about the advantages and disadvantages of setting up an "all in one saltwater aquarium" or AIO over a traditional tank that you source all the pieces of needed equipment?

Why or why not an AIO Aquarium?

1729188114737.png

image via @Innovative Marine

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion. All in one's are fantastic for smaller setups that don't require big skimmers or alot of filtration. Someone looking to run a simple system with softies and LPS would have a very easy time with an AIO.
Bigger systems that require alot of filtration and big skimmers and big pumps, or sps corals with dosing systems definitely traditional.
That said, I'd love to get back in with a small AIO

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller / Team BC
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one, but it kinda crashed after a year. It was an all lps 29 gallon biocube. I may revisit the aio tank someday though. I think the lack of oxygen exchange had something to do with its demise as there was no skimmer. I prefer separate sumps on all my tanks though.

vadryn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90g sumpless with a hang-in refugium. Started as FW but would LOVE for it to have a sump. Just started a 40 B with a FIji AIO insert. Love that becuase of surface skimming and hiding equipment. Definetly seems to be a limiting size threshold for AIO.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a “small” 90 AIO. All my tanks have been AIO, partly due to space and living in an apartment on the 3rd floor(less likely to leak potentially)

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a sump to hide all the equipment - and can go for a bigger skimmer, return pump, heater, etc...

For QTs, I love my 20g AIO setup! You can get by with just a heater & return pump. In fact, you don't want other filtrations with meds.

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have had multiple of both types and they both have their place. I think sump systems are far more complicated and much more intimidating for newer hobbyists. I think it is a disservice to recommend sump systems to most newbies.

I traded in my 250g sump system for a 25g AIO and so far I really like going back to an AIO. Beyond simple, very little maintenance, easy to get going, and easy to recommend to others.

I think most make this hobby far more complicated and harder than it needs to be. Setting up another AIO has brought me back to my roots and simplified decisions.

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had multiple of both types and they both have their place. I think sump systems are far more complicated and much more intimidating for newer hobbyists. I think it is a disservice to recommend sump systems to most newbies.

I traded in my 250g sump system for a 25g AIO and so far I really like going back to an AIO. Beyond simple, very little maintenance, easy to get going, and easy to recommend to others.

I think most make this hobby far more complicated and harder than it needs to be. Setting up another AIO has brought me back to my roots and simplified decisions.
I think that this question can be answered due to tank size right, esp with you going from 250g to 25g. I don't think you can do an AIO (or be successful at it) having an AIO 250g; at least that's going to be very clunky since the filtration requirement for a 250g is much more substantial to support all livestock. Personally for me, anything 60g+, you'll need a sump to hide all the big gear.

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I think that this question can be answered due to tank size right, esp with you going from 250g to 25g. I don't think you can do an AIO (or be successful at it) having an AIO 250g; at least that's going to be very clunky since the filtration requirement for a 250g is much more substantial to support all livestock. Personally for me, anything 60g+, you'll need a sump to hide all the big gear.

I was pondering what a 250g AIO would look like and how to run it. Mine has dart frogs in it now so I can't test that theory yet....

but this system is large and sumpless. Super cool thread to read

B&CinB.C.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can we take a moment and just talk about the advantages and disadvantages of setting up an "all in one saltwater aquarium" or AIO over a traditional tank that you source all the pieces of needed equipment?

Why or why not an AIO Aquarium?

1729188114737.png

image via @Innovative Marine
I guess I'll find out . Leak testing a new flex 32.5 right now

Attachments

• Fluval Flex 32.5.jpg
    Fluval Flex 32.5.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 3

RWReefer

Funding a new addiction
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don’t mean to go off topic, but are you the same rtparty from THP?

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been one for AIO's. I've always been of the belief they cut corners when put together. That being said, I have absolutely NOTHING to back that statement AND I've never owned one. Call me a control freak, but I prefer choosing my own tank and equipment on my own to best serve my needs. All this being said I came THAAAAAT close to getting one a few months ago just for the convenience of it all. There is something to be said for plug and play. But I decided against it. A BIG part of owning a system for me is researching, purchasing and putting it all together. .......But the thought still lingers........

Daniel92481

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AIO’s are so streamlined these days. For the price of a few display inches, you get a functional setup without all of the (dare I say) unnecessary equipment. I think it all really depends on the type of fish you want to keep, the type of coral, and how much coral you want to put in it. Don’t get me wrong, I love a tank with a jillion corals but it is also nice to go small and really concentrate on a few of your preferred favorites.

All that being said, I have never owned a tank with a sump although I have thought about it once or twelve times. :)

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with an AIO tank and love mine. It is nice just having everything there and ready to go. Now, when I buy a bigger tank? I'll end up not doing an AIO

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back