And so it begins, my bta split.

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added my bta about 2 months ago and it just split. I was hopping I would be able to keep up and remove them once in a while, but seeing how beep my original had its foot into my rock work, I’m not sure of anyway I will be able to get them out. I am contemplating either removing the 2 that are in there now, or giving up on the idea of a mixed reef and letting them take over, and maybe getting a 2nd verity.

I have a few questions.
I am sure there are a lot of variables but is there any idea of how often they will split or at least is it generally consistent?

Is there a good way to remove them? One of the 2 that are now in there is buried pretty deep into the rock work.

Both nems are in different places than the original, do they usually move?

I have 4 islands of rock work, will the bta move over the sand to the other islands?

Also, last, slightly unrelated question. I have thought of trying to keep a carpet nem in this tank. If I was to remove all coral and other nems, would I be able to keep one in a 45 gal(24x24x18”) tank?

Thanks for any help.

Reefing_addiction

Addiction on Pause - I lied
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so BTAs do what BTAs want to.

The frequency of splitting depends on the BTA and the tank. Some flavors of BTAs get LARGE - like dinner plate size before they split (this may also depend on the tank itself) others may reach 5 inches across and split. Some will split into 3rds.

So what flavor BTA do you have?

I have Sherman BTAs and depending on the mood they may split in have or may split in 3rds .

Will they travel between structures- well that is dependent on what the nem wants. It could release its foot and float away intentionally or it could get blown free while walking. Can it walk on sand ? Yes and no….

The fact they are located in two different spots - normal…..they usually come out from where they planted their foot so they can stretch and rip their face in two.

If those splits are even they may grow together and split together 1 becomes 2…..2 becomes 4.. one may split like it did the 1st time with no rhythm or reason .

When my BTAs go for a walk I do 1 of 2 things….

Catch it a sell it
Catch a release

@F i s h y on carpet nems and removal of BTSd

OP
OP
cjtabares

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so BTAs do what BTAs want to.

The frequency of splitting depends on the BTA and the tank. Some flavors of BTAs get LARGE - like dinner plate size before they split (this may also depend on the tank itself) others may reach 5 inches across and split. Some will split into 3rds.

So what flavor BTA do you have?

I have Sherman BTAs and depending on the mood they may split in have or may split in 3rds .

Will they travel between structures- well that is dependent on what the nem wants. It could release its foot and float away intentionally or it could get blown free while walking. Can it walk on sand ? Yes and no….

The fact they are located in two different spots - normal…..they usually come out from where they planted their foot so they can stretch and rip their face in two.

If those splits are even they may grow together and split together 1 becomes 2…..2 becomes 4.. one may split like it did the 1st time with no rhythm or reason .

When my BTAs go for a walk I do 1 of 2 things….

Catch it a sell it
Catch a release

@F i s h y on carpet nems and removal of BTSd
Thanks a lot. I was kind of hoping to get one that got large. If it never split, and stayed in place I could definitely work around it.

I have a rainbow bta. It was a nice size, and it split and it now seems like I have 2 tiny nems.
IMG_3907.png

OP
OP
cjtabares

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leave the btas and just start buying more nems. :) Nem tanks are fun. If your tank was larger I'd say keep nems in your reef.
This is my old nem tank. Since replaced with an 8 foot reef.
20221106_160324.jpg
20221106_160319.jpg
That looks amazing. Definitely contemplating going just nems. If I ever go bigger, I was already thinking of keeping this as a nem only tank.

Shawnd08

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a turkey baster to squirt water over and over at the foot, eventually it gets irritated enough and starts to loosen its hold. then you can get under the foot and get it to come free. I have done it a few times but it takes some time and effort.

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot. I was kind of hoping to get one that got large. If it never split, and stayed in place I could definitely work around it.

I have a rainbow bta. It was a nice size, and it split and it now seems like I have 2 tiny nems.
IMG_3907.png
I think RBTAs may split more frequently….it may also be partially due to being new to your tank….i recently sold two of my nems and they split within the first 2 months of being in their new tank - and they were definitely not the size mine get to before splitting.

If - and when I catch mine walking - when there foot is inflated and not really attached I gently peel them off and stuff them back where they go - I tell them to sit and stay but they don’t always listen.

Question how old is the tank?

IMG_5262.jpeg IMG_5263.jpeg IMG_5196.jpeg

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
cjtabares

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think RBTAs may split more frequently….it may also be partially due to being new to your tank….i recently sold two of my nems and they split within the first 2 months of being in their new tank - and they were definitely not the size mine get to before splitting.

If - and when I catch mine walking - when there foot is inflated and not really attached I gently peel them off and stuff them back where they go - I tell them to sit and stay but they don’t always listen.

Question how old is the tank?

IMG_5262.jpeg IMG_5263.jpeg IMG_5196.jpeg
The tank is 8 months old.

OP
OP
cjtabares

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home from work, and one of the nems is still in hiding, and the other looks so small(it does not seem to be close to half the size of the nem before it split). Is this normal?
IMG_3967.jpeg
IMG_3968.jpeg

Reefing_addiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came home from work, and one of the nems is still in hiding, and the other looks so small(it does not seem to be close to half the size of the nem before it split). Is this normal?
IMG_3967.jpeg
IMG_3968.jpeg
When one rips itself in half there is no guarantee that they will be of equal size. My nem that split into 3 gave me 1 that was the size of a quarter. Some times my Shermans will be a bit more reclusive after a split sometimes not….

OP
OP
cjtabares

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the anemones looks really good, the other seems to be wasting away in the rock work. Is there anything I can do, or should be concerned with if it is dying?
IMG_4017.jpeg

Kind of hard to see, but I can still see the anemone in the rock work. Sorry for the awful pic(had to zoom way in to get it).
IMG_4021.jpeg

F i s h y

2nd In Command.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back