Any ideas for a false bottom???

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1725014616541.jpeg

Hi, in my upcoming tank build I really want to have a shallow area at the end of the tank for some clams and mangroves as shown in the diagram above. I dont however want a 40cm deep sandbed at that area due to cost, uneven weight and issues with deep sand beds. I want to create a sort of false bottom or fill up the space where the sand would be with a different material. The ideas I have had so far is to either seal it off with silicone and glass but the glass would be very complicated to cut and also I feel that algae would grow there and I wouldn't be able to access it to clean it. I also might be able to use matala mat or some sort of foam that is reef safe that I can use to fill in the space. I can't use coral rubble because it is almost double the price of sand where I live.

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe use pond foam to fill in the area? I know others have used it to build rock walls here.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe use pond foam to fill in the area? I know others have used it to build rock walls here.

I used to use that stuff to build backgrounds for reptile enclosures, I think I might use coarse matala mat and fill in the edges with expanding foam. Although I don't know how well it will hold up in saltwater - might deteriorate over time

Kens Bees

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plexiglass and a heat gun? You can make just about any curve or angle you need with a little patience. You’d still need to silicone in place but you would have the area you want.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plexiglass and a heat gun? You can make just about any curve or angle you need with a little patience. You’d still need to silicone in place but you would have the area you want.
Yes maybe, if I was to seal it off with a false bottom I would likely just use some glass because one of my friends has a water jet cutter I can use. I just think the empty glass area would grow tonnes of algae and just become a mess.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get the reasoning (at all)

What problems with sand beds?

Uneven weight? Is the tank balancing on something?

What is wrong with no divider, a large piece of rock or two and call it a day?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I’m a diy guy so I’d make it from acrylic or glass… in todays world you could prolly have someone 3D print you that and just silicone it in the tank and call it a day.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't get the reasoning (at all)

What problems with sand beds?

Uneven weight? Is the tank balancing on something?

What is wrong with no divider, a large piece of rock or two and call it a day?
I dont really want to buy 600 lbs of sand just for the end area because im planning on having a 15cm deep end of the tank to grow mangroves in with a fairly deep sand bed, just not 40cm deep because that will cost me around $2000 in sand.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I’m a diy guy so I’d make it from acrylic or glass… in todays world you could prolly have someone 3D print you that and just silicone it in the tank and call it a day.
Do you think algae would grow in the area underneath the glass false bottom though, if it is just an empty space? I could maybe just cover that area black with something on all sides but i'm not sure.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont really want to buy 600 lbs of sand just for the end area because im planning on having a 15cm deep end of the tank to grow mangroves in with a fairly deep sand bed, just not 40cm deep because that will cost me around $2000 in sand.
600 pounds of sand??? Is this like a 15ft long tank? lol… I got 160 pounds in a 300 gallon tank.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think algae would grow in the area underneath the glass false bottom though, if it is just an empty space? I could maybe just cover that area black with something on all sides but i'm not sure.
If it’s sealed water tight and just air inside it then no it can’t grow algae.. no water no algae. It also wouldn’t have light being covered in sand so again no algae. Now bacteria can build up if it’s wet but no algae.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumice is light and can easily fill the void affordably. Could go as far as adding a diy undergravel filter and increase biological as well.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s sealed water tight and just air inside it then no it can’t grow algae.. no water no algae. It also wouldn’t have light being covered in sand so again no algae. Now bacteria can build up if it’s wet but no algae.
Okay, thanks for your help. I will likely go and just make it out of glass then. Do you think the false bottom would support the roughly 150 lbs of sand alright?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes no sense to me. Volume or cost wise.

It feels like you are in search of a problem to create a complex solution.

Can you please provide the tank dimensions?

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pumice is light and can easily fill the void affordably. Could go as far as adding a diy undergravel filter and increase biological as well.
I was thinking about just stuffing it with rock but doesnt pumice float? I was thinking if I didn't section it off I would probably use some type of really coarse plastic mat

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might feel like extra work, but I would consider fab'ing an acrylic tray and putting on stilts over a pile of live rock (Stilts either anchored into drilled holes in the rock or through the rock to the floor of the tank.

Even the best seals have some failure rate. If a seam ever failed on a false bottom of this size it would create salinity and nutrient headaches that would be challenging to resolve without a teardown.hth

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about just stuffing it with rock but doesnt pumice float? I was thinking if I didn't section it off I would probably use some type of really coarse plastic mat
Pumice can be soaked and most won't float but if it does then add some reef rubble to hold it down.

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes no sense to me. Volume or cost wise.

It feels like you are in search of a problem to create a complex solution.

Can you please provide the tank dimensions?
The tank dimensions are 300x100x65cm and it will be filled to around 50cm deep, there will be a shallow area on one end of the tank that is only 15 cm deep.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^^ This was going to be my suggestion if you were worried about algae

OP
OP
toi_ss

toi_ss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might feel like extra work, but I would consider fab'ing an acrylic tray and putting on stilts over a pile of live rock (Stilts either anchored into drilled holes in the rock or through the rock to the floor of the tank.

Even the best seals have some failure rate. If a seam ever failed on a false bottom of this size it would create salinity and nutrient headaches that would be challenging to resolve without a teardown.hth
Probably a good idea, I think I would just do an acrylic box where I would want the empty space to be and then drill some holes to make water be able to pass through it then I would probably put a wavemaker in there to avoid a massive dead zone. Would put the sand in a tray above the box

Back