Aqua One Minireef 90L

TheDon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys

I’m on the verge of buying an Aqua one mini reef 90l & just wanted to know if there was any tips/tricks or any upgrades you think I should consider.

This is what it comes with…

Aqua One Heater
Aqua one Reef Skimmer 300
H2 Ocean Compact ATO
TMC Reef Flow 2.0 4000
TMC Reef Pump 2000
Aqua Marin Refractometer
Standard light

charlie83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

My 30 day journey with the standard Aqua one 90l has been an interesting one but it looks like this is a second hand setup as it's not the standard equipment that comes with it?

Some key things I came across:

- The drain pipe into the sump is very noisy, all day and night - unless you enjoy the sound of water splashing at all hours. A few forum links where this is being attempted to be quietened.

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/noisy-overflow.409909/page-7 https://www.ultimatereef.net/threads/aquaone-90-noisy-pipe-to-sump.778399/page-2

- Standard light was ok-ish but had to be upgraded to get the most out of the corals. Also you cannot adjust it to your liking, we have more white during the day and less white, more blue during the evening with our upgraded AI 16HD.

- Depending what you are putting in, in terms of fish type, you will need to change the glass lid to one that is tighter to the edges. Otherwise you run the risk of any of the jumpers to make their way out of the smallest gap. Also, it plays havoc with the light reaching the tank. (in the process of currently changing it to a Red Sea Mesh Lid)

- Upgraded the heater because the one that came with the setup seemed to take forever to get to the required temperature, especially after the weekly top off.

Overall a neat little setup but I was warned I will be spending more on the upgrades, which I am feeling now.

Hope this helps.

OP
OP
T

TheDon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @charlie83 What heater did you buy? This is the one that will be with tank, unsure of model except it’s an aqua one

IMG_1136.jpeg

Any links to a replacement lid? Probably only a couple of clowns for the time being.

Many thanks

charlie83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @charlie83 What heater did you buy? This is the one that will be with tank, unsure of model except it’s an aqua one

IMG_1136.jpeg

Any links to a replacement lid? Probably only a couple of clowns for the time being.

Many thanks
Not sure that is a aqua one heater (i know it says Aqua) but seems to be similar to this one which could be anything from 100-500watt based on the description: Heater

The one I use now is: https://www.thetechden.com.au/produ...electronic-heater-200w?variant=32303915597868

The lid I have bought but not assembled yet is:

Reason why I bought it was because my little ones fish, a bicolor blenny, sadly ended up on the floor through a narrow gap, which only got a little bit bigger when I attached the new light to it.

Attachments

• 20240817_074849.jpg
    20240817_074849.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 13

April150490

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deffo change the glass lid to a jump guard lost my clown in less then 24hrs! After 15years away am back a this my 3rd tank an i’ve found this tank an utter nightmare for noise, added a 45degree elbow an an extra 2 inch of pipe after works a little but still nothing makes it quiet. To point it’s been running for less then 4weeks an am already planning to upgrade

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 28 75.7%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back