Are Hanna Checkers The Gold Standard In Hobby Grade Test Kits?

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I checked my Alk via Hanna and my reading was 7.9. Two days ago it was 8.2 and 8.3 the day before that. I feel relatively confident that my alk is likely somewhere in the range of 7-12dkh because my corals appear to be growing (also indicated visually) and my water isn’t milky-white death sauce. The consistency from day to day I get time and time again is far more important than the actual number.

It isn’t that the digital reading seems more accurate it is just a bit more comforting than wondering if I counted drops correctly or whether or not I detected the color change correctly, but maybe im a bit neurotic. :D

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, I use three different test kits myself for different parameters. I noticed how some Reefers say that they compare other tests to the Hanna checkers, and think the other kit is wrong if it isn’t the same result. I think maybe because it shows a number it makes it more believable than color shades, etc.? I aim for consistency in a range over pinpoint accuracy myself. I appreciate your input as well! Thanks!
In reality, if one has 2 tests that show different results - the answer probably should be check a third test. The conversation is interesting - especially since many people don't seem to trust their tests (I'm not referring to you Matt) - I wonder if we focus too much on testing? EDIT - by a 'third test' - I mean a third independent test, as compared to repeating the other tests 3 times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Average Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In reality, if one has 2 tests that show different results - the answer probably should be check a third test. The conversation is interesting - especially since many people don't seem to trust their tests (I'm not referring to you Matt) - I wonder if we focus too much on testing?
Yeah, for me it just depends on which parameter I’m testing for. The tests I care the most about are alkalinity and salinity. Those two seem to have the most affect on my coral when they are out of whack. Though I know salinity affects most parameters.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, for me it just depends on which parameter I’m testing for. The tests I care the most about are alkalinity and salinity. Those two seem to have the most affect on my coral when they are out of whack. Though I know salinity affects most parameters.
"When out of whack" probably the best test confirmation that bad numbers are really bad and attention needed.

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These articles helped me a lot in how I conduct tests. https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/getti...count-by-using-a-quality-system-approach.741/

When BRS did their video comparing test kits, I had a problem with how they had multiple people conducting one of each test. To me it’s would have made much more sense to have one person conduct multiple tests to limit variables.
Individual variables was part of the tests. You and I might shake that bottle differently, add an extra drop or discern colors differently. Why I'm starting to lean again back to auto testing. Besides the fact I just hate testing :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Average Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Individual variables was part of the tests. You and I might shake the that bottle differently, add an extra drop or discern colors differently. Why I'm starting to lean again back to auto testing. Besides the fact I just hate testing :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:
I think I might have to do a hobbyist experiment on if those inconsistencies really matter with the Hanna checkers. I have plenty of reagents to play with it. I’ll just need to get good measuring devices to see if 9ml of water matters, or 80% of the reagent is used, etc. In other words, purposefully mess up the tests and see if it matters much.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might have to do a hobbyist experiment on if those inconsistencies really matter with the Hanna checkers. I have plenty of reagents to play with it. I’ll just need to get good measuring devices to see if 9ml of water matters, or 80% of the reagent is used, etc. In other words, purposefully mess up the tests and see if it matters much.
Better you than me :rolling-on-the-floor-laughing:

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best test would be against an automated tester since logic assumes the process replicated same each test and that shouldn't be part of the margin although each manual test would need same sample water. Way to far in the weeds for me

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Average Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best test would be against an automated tester since logic assumes the process replicated same each test and that shouldn't be part of the margin although each manual test would need same sample water. Way to far in the weeds for me
I actually did a video on that. I didn’t do a bunch of tests back to back, but showed what my Hanna was reading vs the Trident at the time. I use the Trident calibration solution too, but that’s another rabbit hole for some.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started down that rabbit hole of lab micropipettes but I must be clumsy because I'd never get the same results even with the one's not having a range and luckily found this. Plus those lab grade micropippets need calibration and the better models cost a bit. Doubt the EZY DOSE is precise but feel confident that each dosage the same as last and trends what I seek.

DOSING SYRINGE.JPG
Agree I also went down the same hole, to save others the expense it’s really not needed, Hanna say themselves that you don’t need to be that anal about it…press too fast on a pipette and you will get a different result.
Buy a syringe and fill to the same mark each time that is all that is needed, the main thing is to keep the vials clean.

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did a video on that. I didn’t do a bunch of tests back to back, but showed what my Hanna was reading vs the Trident at the time. I use the Trident calibration solution too, but that’s another rabbit hole for some.
Were they close enough for government work

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Outside of a few Sticks. Do we really need such narrow ranges? Seems every new to the hobby aspires to climb that mountain and treats every polyp as if PO4 0.03-.0.09 set in stone and dare not fall out of it otherwise dire consequences such as total tank crashes the results.
The hobby might have its measurement priorities mixed up.

What we measure follows an odd pattern for hobby that is focused on growing things. We measure chemistry but not biology, right? Who precisely keeps track of coral mass/size/volume over time? Who actually measures the color of their coral? Who is comparing photographs of their coral week by week?

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Average Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What we measure follows an odd pattern for hobby that is focused on growing things. We measure chemistry but not biology, right? Who precisely keeps track of coral mass/size/volume over time? Who actually measures the color of their coral? Who is comparing photographs of their coral week by week?
I don’t measure my coral, but my YouTube channel’s primary function is for me to track my progress and relapses of my tanks. Though I know that’s not typical.

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about getting the Hanna Nitrate. I do not like the Salifert Nitrate test because I cant distinguish the colors. Can anyone recommend the best test kit for Nitrate?

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Average Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about getting the Hanna Nitrate. I do not like the Salifert Nitrate test because I cant distinguish the colors. Can anyone recommend the best test kit for Nitrate?
It depends on your preference. I got the Hanna because I was tired of asking my wife which color orange was what number. To me, not having that frustration was worth the money.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I do

I can pick any week and find pics of any coral. When one has an issue I scroll through pictures and can see when it started. Then I cross reference that with logs in my parameter tracking program and look for clues

I have a Goni that one day I realized hadn’t extended in a while. Went back through pics and found the last time it was extended. A few days later I noticed I added some fish. I didn’t know who would be bothering it and don’t have a camera so I put the Goni in a enclosure. And it started opening again. Once it was opening consistently I removed the enclosure. It stopped opening. That led me to believe it was a fish. I started observing from a distance and noticed the new damsel had strong interest in this one Goni and was almost hosting it like a clownfish and was irritating it. This led me to moving the Goni to another system where it remains open

HOW ARE YOU FIGHTING NUISANCE ALGAE RIGHT NOW?

• Clean-Up Crew

Votes: 47 88.7%
  • Algae-Eating Fish

Votes: 23 43.4%
  • Light Adjustments

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Nutrient Adjustments

Votes: 25 47.2%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 11 20.8%
Back