Ask Reefers #1: What's your favorite "in aquarium" pump for flow? October 2024

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm looking to create a series of questions where we get real info from real reefers without bias of an influencer, company representative or even forum sponsor. I want to use this information to create a series of articles that takes opinions from real reefers and offers a non-bias look into what equipment, supplies and even companies that real reefers use and trust. We're not looking for "opinions" on products. We're looking for real time feedback on the products you use, love and trust! It won't be perfect but I believe we can put together some real good information and answers for those who are searching for them.

So let's start with a very popular question!

What's your favorite "in aquarium" pump for flow and why?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overall I like the Vortech MP pumps the best due to controllability, sleek design and lack of wires in the tank, but I have to also tip my hat to gyre pumps as they are far more cost effective. I use and enjoy both hygger (https://amzn.to/4dprJml) and maxspect (https://amzn.to/3BAI3n2) gyres. Sometimes its nice to be able to control your devices without a complicated app, and both of those gyres offer that functionality via a tactile controller with simple digital display.

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You can really only answer with a brand since each setup is going to have different requirements.

The best company for power heads is Tunze in my experience. Plenty of options to fit almost any setup, unbelievable reliability, and amazing customer service from Roger if you ever need it. I have multiple 6045s that are over 10 years old and work great.

Reefer Matt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Jebao pumps because of their value and performance. Though I have not purchased any of the brand name pumps to compare them to. I usually start with the cheapest option first, if it lasts for a decent amount of time I stay with them. The gyres and powerheads usually last for about 2-3 years for me, the return pumps a few years more. I find the overall cost comparable to brand name pumps, but I don’t have to make that investment up front. I just replace as I go when required.

Last edited:

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like vortechs (do not like mobius) mainly because of no wires on the tank. This is especially nice on a tank with wide euro bracing. I have 8 vortechs running. I keep a spare wet side on hand and swap out for cleaning.

I have four neros running, two 3s and two 5s. I have had no issues with mine. My only niggle is the long cord attached to the pump that has to be fished out of the stand for cleaning. I've resorted to cleaning them in a bowl next to the tank.

I have two jebao gyres. They move a lot of water but like other gyres I have tried they tend to get noisy especially if they are cranked up past 50%. These two are sitting on a shelf in case needed in a pinch.

Tunze. What can I say? They just run and run. I have two, a nano and I think a 6105 (?) that have been running for probably 6-7 years. Tunze is the most reliable PH I have. They're a little bulky and lack some features of other pumps. At least my older ones do but they just keep on working.

Last edited:
OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the feedback so far! Love to see the pros and cons as well.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last year at this time I bought a Carefree Fish wave maker and I love it. It's low profile, dead silent and was a very good value. It replaced a gyre I had and I appreciate it way more since it never needs tinkering.

Last edited:

EliMelly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
“I like the Jebao rip off version of Vortechs!” JK I use vortechs.

Feedback on the Vortechs. Overall the lack of a wire in a tank wins the game in terms of aesthetics. I think they create amazing flow. They are however quite pricy and don’t come with a great warranty. Mine stopped working a year and a half in and I need to pay to have it examined and will need to potentially pay to replace parts.

telegraham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jebao SDW/SLW for flow and Orlushy for return. They are crazy reliable and budget accessible. Both brands are available from Amazon, and, for very little money, they can be purchased with a four-year protection plan for those who are concerned about longevity. 30 day refund or return.

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What's your favorite "in aquarium" pump for flow and why?

from experience i've had two AI nero 3's(i've owned 3, 1 broke due to negligence) and a single jebao sc70 gyre. personally am partial to the nero's due to the ability to fine tune it to my liking as well as having it on a timer without having to deal or worry about getting timers for the plug as i did for my jebao. also because i run AI hydra lights, and fuge light so it made it all easier to navigate from 1 app.

BZOFIQ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm a fan of the Red Octopus OctoPulse 2 & 4. I also like that I can hook them into the Hydros WaveEngine and eliminate the need for separate controllers / power supplies for each.

My new favorites in terms of ratio of size to flow. Amazing powerheads, will see if they last as long as Tunzees

BZOFIQ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
“I like the Jebao rip off version of Vortechs!” JK I use vortechs.

Feedback on the Vortechs. Overall the lack of a wire in a tank wins the game in terms of aesthetics.

Amazingly enough...

fish jails, frag racks, broken bottles, mushroom jails, pod hotels - NO PROBLEM!

8 inches of cable inside the tank - OH H3LL NO!

BZOFIQ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
The best company for power heads is Tunze in my experience. Plenty of options to fit almost any setup, unbelievable reliability, and amazing customer service from Roger if you ever need it. I have multiple 6045s that are over 10 years old and work great.

On point, all statement are true. Have same experience with 6095s and Roger for service.

On the DT I went with RO OP4 because they push unreal amount of water even at 30% and are much more compact then Tunzees. These can also be adjusted unlike the look-ma-no-wire offering from EcoSomething.

FishTruck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunzes - for durability - running two of them on sea swirls
Hydrowizard - for pushing water a long distance - runnning one of them, the workhorse for my tank
No Name amazon pumps - for eliminating dead spots - which I find all the time. Running about six or eight of them.

14 foot reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree Thanks for collecting this data for the trade.
The MP40's and 60's are really a top end pump that I have owned for years with little problem.
The Gyre XF350's are another great water movement pump, but the quick slowdown of flow without cleaning constantly is just really a pain. I wish they held the gph longer between cleanings.

56longroof

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like the simplicity of the Tunze nanostreams. I have 2 6085's and 2 6025's on my 150 with no noticeable dead spots and plenty of "chaotic" flow to keep everyone happy.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU HAVE A REEFING MENTOR? BRAG ON THEM IN THE COMMENTS!

• Yes.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I have before, but not currently.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Not yet, but I'd like to have one.

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • No.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • I am the mentor.

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 1 6.7%