Auto feeder compatible with a screen top?

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I need to find a way to feed my tank's fish, esp my little toby puffer when I'm away, otherwise I can not go away lol.
I have a screen top in use now, needed b/c I have had fish jump out, and I have a helfriechi firefish now also.
What can I do? If I need to have a modified top, is there one premade for specfic sized tanks like my 36x18"?. Or is there a way to easily DIY one? EASILY lol. i can imagine to DIY an exact size for the feeder is not easy.

If I did have a modified top, it would be an alternative , used only when i'm away. The feeder would sit in the space made in the top of course. I can not use that same modified top all the time when i'm not away, as the hefrichi at some point will jump through the hole, the feeder is only there when I'm away. And when the feeder is in use, there can be no space between that and the edges of the top (the firefish will jump through any small space i'm sure). Therfor I'd have two tops, one modified one not.

Or is there a feeder that I can use with the top I have now, with no cutouts? Or some other solution, that is not someone just coming 2x a day and feeding the fish :-D

Attached is my tank top now.
TIA!

tanktop.jpg

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same feeder lol. I was afriad it wouuld stretch out the mesh or pull it from where it's secured. maybe not!

EDIT: I found mine, it just easily sits on the corner, supported by the corner frame. I dont know why I didnt think of this :-D . Now to get a secure food ring.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok this is great now lol.
*THough the pellets would float right into the skimmer box
What is a good food ring that stays put .. and the suction cup if one is used doesnt come off?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that same feeder lol. I was afriad it wouuld stretch out the mesh or pull it from where it's secured. maybe not!

Edit: I have to find it buried some where now :-D
Oh, I don’t have it sitting only on the mesh, there is a glass center brace under it. But I imagine you could secure it with a clamp to the edge of your tank without tearing the mesh. Maybe you would have to cut a few squares out, but it will stay tight. I’ve cut out small areas in a few places without causing any tension loss.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I don’t have it sitting only on the mesh, there is a glass center brace under it. But I imagine you could secure it with a clamp to the edge of your tank without tearing the mesh. Maybe you would have to cut a few squares out, but it will stay tight. I’ve cut out small areas in a few places without causing any tension loss.
Yes ,I can sit it on the corner frame.. thanks for that

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok this is great now lol.
*THough the pellets would float right into the skimmer box
What is a good food ring that stays put .. and the suction cup if one is used doesnt come off?
Two Little Fishies makes a magnetic one that I love. I think they also have just the feeding ring style, but also magnetic. Edit: just realized this was the Eshopps version, but I have the Two Little Fishies one that is essentially the same. Not sure the price difference.
IMG_5475.png

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two Little Fishies makes a magnetic one that I love. I think they also have just the feeding ring style, but also magnetic. Edit: just realized this was the Eshopps version, but I have the Two Little Fishies one that is essentially the same. Not sure the price difference.
IMG_5475.png
nice, but can I have the eheim drop food into it??
ALso I like the 2 little fishes, but the conetion with the magnet deterioates and dumps metals/iroon into the tank :-/

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll prob just hav eto find what at least looks like a secure suction cup one, too bad 2 little fishes didnt get their act togethter on the mag one

EDIT: THe eheim feeder got very expensive! . Mine isnt working. I know I didnt pay more than $30, now it's $50 :-/

Last edited:

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice, but can I have the eheim drop food into it??
ALso I like the 2 little fishes, but the conetion with the magnet deterioates and dumps metals/iroon into the tank :-/
I didn’t know about the magnet issue! Mine looks fine but it’s only 6 months old. I will have to keep an eye on it now…

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Custom lid with cutout for plank auto feeder + manual feeding port with cap

I think this goes for $130 for a 75 gallon 48” tank that needed two panels

Got it custom made to my specs from

You can contact through the website with your needs and a quote. There is no charge for customizations
A0ACF37C-DD8E-4D5A-A841-A0295BEE5D10.jpeg
37F13572-D3C0-4D40-944C-F6E405FDC74B.jpeg
E87E6085-CD01-424F-A419-60EEBA8DEC0E.jpeg
B92D64A8-AABE-4ECD-8FED-F595B9F930FB.jpeg

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can also drop frozen cubes in the feeding chamber / tube and walk away. They will be mixed with sw and as they thaw the food is dispensed into the tank.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My auto feeder sits about 6” above the water surface. Most of the sinking pellets sink from that height. Some pellets float and go down to the sump but most don’t. So, I don’t use a feeder ring.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll prob just hav eto find what at least looks like a secure suction cup one, too bad 2 little fishes didnt get their act togethter on the mag one

Custom lid with cutout for plank auto feeder + manual feeding port with cap

I think this goes for $130 for a 75 gallon 48” tank that needed two panels

Got it custom made to my specs from

You can contact through the website with your needs and a quote. There is no charge for customizations
A0ACF37C-DD8E-4D5A-A841-A0295BEE5D10.jpeg
37F13572-D3C0-4D40-944C-F6E405FDC74B.jpeg
E87E6085-CD01-424F-A419-60EEBA8DEC0E.jpeg
B92D64A8-AABE-4ECD-8FED-F595B9F930FB.jpeg
That looks really nice. I'll check it out. Thoguh I like the screen to allow all the light through.

OP
OP
F

FishPersonFL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My auto feeder sits about 6” above the water surface. Most of the sinking pellets sink from that height. Some pellets float and go down to the sump but most don’t. So, I don’t use a feeder ring.
how do you secure it so high?

WOULD YOU EVER CONSIDER HAVING A FOWLR TANK? WHAT WOULD BE YOUR FIRST FISH?

• Yes!

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • No...

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • I already have one!

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • I did have one, but I don't anymore...

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back