Baby bluestripe pipefish day1

EmmaPark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, this is Emma. I'm posting this to record that early yesterday morning, baby pipefish finally hatched from the belly of dad blue stripe pipefish. It's been almost two weeks since I noticed the pregnancy. According to records, the babies hatch between 14 to 17 days after the female lays eggs in the male's belly. So, on the 12th day, I isolated the dad pipefish, and the babies successfully hatched.

1000036618.jpg

I managed to take quite detailed pictures of the babies. I will keep posting updates.
1000036619.gif

All the photos below are of the babies on their first day after hatching.

1000036609.jpg

1000036612.jpg

Ah, when they feel threatened, they freeze and stop moving. I mistakenly removed one baby pipefish, thinking it didn't survive, but that was a mistake.

1000036494.gif

Dad pipefish, looking exhausted, is yawning.
Now that the dad pipefish's duty is over, he has been returned to the tank. He is currently reunited with his mate, and they are hunting together again.

OP
OP
EmmaPark

EmmaPark

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So interesting. Whatever will you feed them?
---

In one thread, it was mentioned that they eat small pods like Parvocalanus, but I don't have any prepared.

I hatch brine shrimp daily and feed them to the fish, but they are too large for the baby pipefish.

However, I have been cultivating seaweed, but I removed all of it except for one small pool with rocks, mini jellyfish, and an abundance of small pods.

I also have a small tank where I grow a bit of seaweed.
This tank is full of tiny copepods that are almost invisible, so I moved ten of the babies there as a test. I'll observe them until tomorrow and then move more of the babies!

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 101 28.8%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 147 41.9%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 87 24.8%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 16 4.6%
Back