Banggai Cardinal Blisters Behind Pectoral Fin

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Banggai cardinal has developed something behind (at the base of) his right pectoral fin.
My best description is something like 3 filled blisters, partially attached to each other.
First noticed about 1 week ago. (Have had the fish 1 year 2 years)
*this fish is the aggressor towards my pajama cardinal — it’s never a confrontation,,, more like the Banggai chases the PJ and the PJ never fights back

No new fish added this year.
If aggression from another fish is the question, 3.5+ year old solo clown would be the suspect but I’ve never seen any clown aggression towards the Banggai.

These pictures and video are from iPhone and don’t capture the issue perfectly but best I could do:
*tried multiple times this weekend under full WHITE light with DSLR but fish never cooperated,,, sorry

Banggai Blisters1.JPG

Banggai Blisters2.JPG

End of video has Banggai turning away to give glimpse of protrusion (maybe):

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the excellent pictures. It could be the result of injury - or it could be an internal problem - I can't tell from the video - do you see that it looks like an actual blister (i.e. clear or nearly clear from the side or is it actual tissue swelling. I would doubt a parasite issue - since you've had the fish for a year - and other fish aren't showing symptoms - have you added anything lately - has the stock been normal? These fish do not live long lives - and this may be an internal issue which may be a tumor, virus related - which may not be treatable. I suppose you could add the fish to a tank with an antibiotic (broad spectrum) - and see if there is any improvement

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks...
Tissue swelling seems likely. (I just said blister for lack of a better description).
I added some snails about 2 months ago but I put them through 50+ days of QT first.
(No fish or corals added this year)

For now, I'm just monitoring. If it gets worse, I'll probably do something.
Fish seems fine otherwise and no other fish showing any symptoms of anything (that I can tell).

OP
OP
EricR

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a vet, but it looks like it could be due to an injury, as stated above.

Was the fish quarantined previous to purchase? And/or after purchase?
Fish was added 10/2022 ... oh,,, I guess it's been 2 years, not 1,,, oops.
I do HTTM (Hybrid Tank Transfer Method), which I know is not popular here, but that's what I do and did for this fish.

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Banggai cardinal has developed something behind (at the base of) his right pectoral fin.
My best description is something like 3 filled blisters, partially attached to each other.
First noticed about 1 week ago. (Have had the fish 1 year 2 years)
*this fish is the aggressor towards my pajama cardinal — it’s never a confrontation,,, more like the Banggai chases the PJ and the PJ never fights back

No new fish added this year.
If aggression from another fish is the question, 3.5+ year old solo clown would be the suspect but I’ve never seen any clown aggression towards the Banggai.

These pictures and video are from iPhone and don’t capture the issue perfectly but best I could do:
*tried multiple times this weekend under full WHITE light with DSLR but fish never cooperated,,, sorry

Banggai Blisters1.JPG

Banggai Blisters2.JPG

End of video has Banggai turning away to give glimpse of protrusion (maybe):

Could be a tumor - you might have missed its growth at first.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.
If that's the case, not really anything I could/should do about it, correct?
Not if it’s a tumor, but fish can live with these for some time.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back