Battery backup solution - how long will this run 2 aquariums?

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm still considering getting a portable Gas Inverter Generator but interested in upgrading my very weak Cyberpower backup that only lasts an hour just with a heater and couple pumps.

I'm looking at the BLUETTI Portable Power Station AC180, 1152Wh LiFePO4 Battery Backup w/ 4 1800W (2700W peak) AC.

I have two aquariums. Both have 100W Heaters. 1st one also has a main circulation pump, a propeller pump, and an octopus protein skimmer (I'd probably skip that one since it's not necessary. The 2nd one has a hang on filter as well as a Fluval 307 canister filter. Both have some T8/T9 lighting as well as LED.

Would this Bluetti run the most important components for keeping things alive for more than 24 hours?

Also, if you have a better brand recommendation I'm all ears. I know there are a couple more including jackery, ecoflow, and anker.

Whole house Generator is still a few years down the line.

I am in a very low risk area. No earthquakes, hurricanes, etc.

Last edited:

leighton.bingham

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
So I'm still considering getting a portable Gas Inverter Generator but interested in upgrading my very weak Cyberpower backup that only lasts an hour just with a heater and couple pumps.

I'm looking at the BLUETTI Portable Power Station AC180, 1152Wh LiFePO4 Battery Backup w/ 4 1800W (2700W peak) AC.

I have two aquariums. Both have 100W Heaters. 1st one also has a main circulation pump, a propeller pump, and an octopus protein skimmer (I'd probably skip that one since it's not necessary. The 2nd one has a hang on filter as well as a Fluval 307 canister filter. Both have some T8/T9 lighting as well as LED.

Would this Bluetti run the most important components for keeping things alive for more than 24 hours?

Also, if you have a better brand recommendation I'm all ears. I know there are a couple more including jackery, ecoflow, and anker.

Whole house Generator is still a few years down the line.

I am in a very low risk area. No earthquakes, hurricanes, etc.
Depends how often your heater is needed to come on, which depends on the ambient temp of the room

That unit is 1152 watt hours

The runtime formula is

(Watt hours x .85 efficiency ) / watt load

(1152 x .85) / 200w (heaters, both on) = 4.9 hours

But heaters don’t stay on continuously, they come on and off a few min at a time. You really would need a gas generator for prolonged heater power

Now, that unit will provide significantly longer runtime than the UPS you have.

You should connect the return pump from tank 1 (I hope it’s a dc pump) and the canister + hob from tank 2

Assuming return pump is 25w and canister + hob is 25w, that’s a 50 watt losd

Then

(1152 x .85) / 50 = 19.5 hours

If the return pump is dc and you can reduce to 10-15% power and still get circulation, and reduce watts to 15

(1152 x .85) / 40 = 24.5 hours

Again all made up numbers but just examples

Bluetti is a good brand but one of the more expensive and I prefer these more

BigBlue CellPowa 1000
1075 wh
$419

Servomaster
1008 watt hour
$559 - 200 coupon = $359

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back