Best diet for Tangs?

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time has come to add the tangs to my reef. I added a yellow tang and 2 spot bristle tooth last saturday and will be adding the final tang this friday (convict). Right now I alternate daily between frozen mysis and brine and put a 1/4 sheet of sea veggies on a clip for the tangs angel and foxface. I dont feed pellets as of now. Is there another food I should be adding into my feeding schedule for the tangs?

MaiReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me. Other than live black or white worms that is a good diet. Tangs need a bunch of Nori or macro algae to keep their digestive system working properly.

Lukas75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks good to me. I feed LRS Reef Frenzy in the evening daily, PE Pellets in the afternoon via auto-feeder (I'm at work) and nori three times a week. Yes I have huge fuge, lol

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori, mysis, and brine is a great staple.

I would mix in some pellets or flake a couple times a week for variety.

OP
OP
A

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori, mysis, and brine is a great staple.

I would mix in some pellets or flake a couple times a week for variety.

I have never fed my tank pellets before. What pellets in your opinion are the best? I will gladly pay extra for good quality food.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never fed my tank pellets before. What pellets in your opinion are the best? I will gladly pay extra for good quality food.

Folks really like New Life Spectrum. I use them and Omega One. I'm not sure what pellets are best.

OP
OP
A

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS Carries (New Life Spectrum Marine Formula – 1mm sinking pellets)

OP
OP
A

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone. Only have 1 more question? So feeding the foxface, coral beauty, and the 3 tangs all in a 6 Gallon fluval edge tank how much should I feed to keep the water quality acceptable?

;Happy

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time has come to add the tangs to my reef. I added a yellow tang and 2 spot bristle tooth last saturday and will be adding the final tang this friday (convict). Right now I alternate daily between frozen mysis and brine and put a 1/4 sheet of sea veggies on a clip for the tangs angel and foxface. I dont feed pellets as of now. Is there another food I should be adding into my feeding schedule for the tangs?

Seaweed Nori and a mixed diet (ie LRS Reef Frenzy) and an established tank with algae growing for them to graze on. Technically they are Herbivores but my Yellow Tang definitely loved meat in it's diet. It helped my Melanurus Wrasse chow down on a recently deceased Turbo snail it's first day in the tank. Couldn't believe it.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my tangs nori, mysis, spirulina enriched brine, veg pellets and two kinds of carnivore pellets. I pretty much give them as much nori as they want.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mixed nori, greens, and meatier foods fortified such as spirulina brine, CA or PE Mysis, live blackworms, etc. :)

I add selcon, vita chem, and zoe to foods for extra nutrition and to keep HLLE in check.

Bouncingsoul39

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't mean to sidetrack the thread here but was wondering where you purchased your tangs from?

OP
OP
A

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't mean to sidetrack the thread here but was wondering where you purchased your tangs from?

From my LFS. 2 from Aquarium Illusions and 1 from Marine Experience.

Last edited:

Tautog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS has Marine A, Hikari, it’s a large pellet that sinks slow, and all my Tangs love it. Though I feed all the frozen mentioned above, my Sailfin(Red Sea) doesn’t eat any frozen foods, nor does my Lemon Peel angel. These 2 fish out of 25 only eat dry pellets and nori

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input everyone. Only have 1 more question? So feeding the foxface, coral beauty, and the 3 tangs all in a 6 Gallon fluval edge tank how much should I feed to keep the water quality acceptable?

;Happy
;Hilarious

OP
OP
A

Alberta79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

19 islands (formally Marine Aquaria ) runs a very good quarantine system and will also quarantine your fish even from your own tank or if you purchase from other stores.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back