Black Sea hare

Brian barranco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2340F858-E1A3-477E-9678-F1823B01CBA2.jpeg

Can you put this sea hare inside reef tank? I seen couple in the coast of California

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Never seen black or a black in an aquarium as black one feed on red algae whereas common reef version feeds on green algae.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a cold water tank ?

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. They're great herbivorous especially for hair algae.
The ones typically sold in the hobby are more gray, but occasionally, they come in with some black, and rarely solid black. Never saw one that big though.

mattzang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you find anything off the coast of california it's probably not going to live long in a reef tank

and just so you know you need to have a marine aquaria permit which costs $500 per year to collect stuff, apparently it's quite the fine..

OP
OP
Brian barranco

Brian barranco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to get big though if it's one of those species. What would you do with it then?
Well. I never thought to keep it in the long run. Just after cycle tank. I have a bunch of diatoms, hair algae, Bryopsis, little Cyano . Then when it’s over. I will just put it back.

Elegance Coral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well. I never thought to keep it in the long run. Just after cycle tank. I have a bunch of diatoms, hair algae, Bryopsis, little Cyano . Then when it’s over. I will just put it back.

Please don't do that. Once we pull a critter out of the ocean and place it in our tanks, with critters from all over the world, it should never return to the wild. There are many pathogens that can be released in local waters by doing that. Euthanize it if you have to, but don't put it back.
Peace
EC

OP
OP
Brian barranco

Brian barranco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please don't do that. Once we pull a critter out of the ocean and place it in our tanks, with critters from all over the world, it should never return to the wild. There are many pathogens that can be released in local waters by doing that. Euthanize it if you have to, but don't put it back.
Peace
EC
I’m not going to do it. I actually got a Mexican Turbo snail. The reef gods help me out and his eating all the algae. Except Cyano. I will treat it though. I was worried about Bryopsis and hair algae.

OP
OP
Brian barranco

Brian barranco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ceriths will help with cyano. I think trochus too but to a lesser degree. Fox face eat bryopsis and so do E. crispata seaslugs, aka the lettuce seaslugs.
Trochus the ones that flip themselves over ? I have 3 but don’t touch it or Bryopsis or hair algae. Prolly will try out Cerith snails .

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trochus do flip themselves. Cyano isn't any snails favorite but they do take a bite out of it. The ceriths also stir the sand up which helps against cyano growing there in the first place.

cristata.reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, having cared for these in public aquaria, they are literal feces machines. Secondly, they are also illegal to collect without an SCP permit which is only issued to research institutions, aquaria, and licensed collectors (which there are not many of). I second the opinion of the others above, get some ceriths and trochus snails and you should be set

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back