Bright Green Alage

toomanymatts

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what this is. This green stuff showed up right after I got rid of my dino problem. It was a very bright neon green and my best guess along with some other responses was it could be the beginning stages of coraline. I haven't really seen it change much. It started on the flat rock and has slowly grown to the others. It's never in the sand bed. CUC won't touch it. I spent sometime trying to scrub it, it won't come up. It also seem like the purple is fading a bit as well. Thoughts?

Here are the parameters:
Temp: 81.5 (fallow for ICH)
Salinity: 1.0255
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 25 (about to do a water change)
Phosphate: .25 ( this is the highest i've seen it, will test again tomorrow)
ALK: 13.5 (2nd time using the test kit, will test again tomorrow)

20220602_214027.jpg 20220602_214031.jpg 20220602_214034.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out what this is. This green stuff showed up right after I got rid of my dino problem. It was a very bright neon green and my best guess along with some other responses was it could be the beginning stages of coraline. I haven't really seen it change much. It started on the flat rock and has slowly grown to the others. It's never in the sand bed. CUC won't touch it. I spent sometime trying to scrub it, it won't come up. It also seem like the purple is fading a bit as well. Thoughts?

Here are the parameters:
Temp: 81.5 (fallow for ICH)
Salinity: 1.0255
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 25 (about to do a water change)
Phosphate: .25 ( this is the highest i've seen it, will test again tomorrow)
ALK: 13.5 (2nd time using the test kit, will test again tomorrow)

20220602_214027.jpg 20220602_214031.jpg 20220602_214034.jpg
This is interesting - I had a 'tank crash' - after my son let an entire package of LRS food melt into the aquarium after he fed the fish. Within a week - (I had a couple Dinos) - which were gone - but the tank was covered with this same algae - which I also thought could be 'corralling'. I also had an EXTREME cyano problem. The skimmer was going nuts, etc - the rest of the parameters were crazy. I thought about taking out the rock and scrubbing it - but - becasue of the cyano - which was SEVERE - I decided to use 1 dose of chemiclean. Within 3 days - both of the red and green algae were completely gone. And have not returned. Nor have any Dinos. I hate to suggest a chemical solution - but I would consider chemiclean.

Back