Brown Jelly Disease with Torch - Currently recommend treatments?

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I /think/ my torch has BJD. I took the brown goop off of the skeleton-showing/recessed part of the coral and put it under a microscope and saw what looked similar to what I've seen other users post. If so, thoughts on what I can do to save this coral, but most importantly, protect the rest?

Attachments

• 2020_0130_010747_012.MP4
    34.5 MB
  • 2020_0130_010825_013.MP4
    70 MB
  • 2020_0130_010919_014.MP4
    63.6 MB
OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000034353.jpg
1000034356.jpg
1000034357.jpg

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up kfc dip may work. I had this rip through my system unfortunately I think It took me too long to get all the meds and it got in the tank. KFC after KFC dip things would look fine for a bit then it would start again. I finally put all euphyllia in a holding tank and did a 10 day cipro treatment. I was hesitant to treat the whole reef. Things have been fine for a few months now. Had one torch head bail on me last night out of nowhere. Didnt melt or jelly just bailed. I glued it to a frag plug to see what happens looked fine other wise....

armyvetheather

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have kfc, another method is to mix Reef Primer, peroxide, chemiclean, and iodine in a cup of water with your torch. I saved two like this two weeks ago. I think even if you do 3/4 things it's better than doing nothing. It won't hurt if they don't need it either, so it's a win-win.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the feedback all! Would all of you agree, judging by the pictures and microscope videos that it is indeed BJD?

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your first pics are not showing.
The first 3 are videos from the microscope. Not sure why people have time with seeing it, maybe you aren't using Chrome?

Either way, the attached is a still screenshot. Not the best, but I saw amoebas with a bunch of brownish dots in them swimming around.

1000034364.jpg

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first 3 are videos from the microscope. Not sure why people have time with seeing it, maybe you aren't using Chrome?

Either way, the attached is a still screenshot. Not the best, but I saw amoebas with a bunch of brownish dots in them swimming around.

1000034364.jpg
Videos embedded are hit or miss better to post them on youtube then link here.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't have kfc, another method is to mix Reef Primer, peroxide, chemiclean, and iodine in a cup of water with your torch. I saved two like this two weeks ago. I think even if you do 3/4 things it's better than doing nothing. It won't hurt if they don't need it either, so it's a win-win.
I don't have KFC as I don't think some of those are even legal to get over the counter without a script (amoxicillin, is that right?).

Anyway, for the Reef Primer and friends, would Coral RX work instead? Also, what iodine should I use? I have Chemiclean already and hydrogen peroxide. Most importantly, what is the dosage/measurement of each relative to 1g of salt water? Any directions anywhere?

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have KFC as I don't think some of those are even legal to get over the counter without a script (amoxicillin, is that right?).

Anyway, for the Reef Primer and friends, would Coral RX work instead? Also, what iodine should I use? I have Chemiclean already and hydrogen peroxide. Most importantly, what is the dosage/measurement of each relative to 1g of salt water? Any directions anywhere?
I am not at home atm but I can post a link where you can get the meds fish related or you can do a search here for kfc dip. I think @crazyfishmom posted the site to get meds before.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a search. I didnt check it for amoxi
edit its the one that has both.

crazyfishmom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0

Antibiotics for aquaria

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think before I start going ham on this coral, I should get a solid ID that it's brown jelly disease. Tell me what you think of this.

One of the tentacles inflated up like a balloon, super swollen, while some others were deflated like an empty balloon. The entire coral is all limp and receded. I wonder if it's just a gonner, and I haven't seen any other substance that resembles the brown jelly. Could it have been something else? It was instant. It looked fine this morning, then by the early afternoon it went terrible.

Thoughts?

RedReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think before I start going ham on this coral, I should get a solid ID that it's brown jelly disease. Tell me what you think of this.

One of the tentacles inflated up like a balloon, super swollen, while some others were deflated like an empty balloon. The entire coral is all limp and receded. I wonder if it's just a gonner, and I haven't seen any other substance that resembles the brown jelly. Could it have been something else? It was instant. It looked fine this morning, then by the early afternoon it went terrible.

Thoughts?
If you feel that way. I would just trash the coral and monitor the rest of the tank.

JayM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thoughts?
Smell it. You'll know right quick if it's BJD.

IME, unless it's a really big, really expensive colony, or running rampant amongst all of your euphyllia, it's best just to cut off the infected head, trash it and hope for the best. Run of the mill torch frags are often cheaper than the treatment.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would remove the torch and treat in a quarantine tank. I would recommend cipro or KFC if you can.

If it is brown jelly (most likely) or any bacterial infection, it's in your tank and all torches are at risk. It can start killing torches overnight. I tend to use cipro at the first signs of issue and treat the full tank.

OP
OP
T

testuser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smell it. You'll know right quick if it's BJD.

IME, unless it's a really big, really expensive colony, or running rampant amongst all of your euphyllia, it's best just to cut off the infected head, trash it and hope for the best. Run of the mill torch frags are often cheaper than the treatment.
Zero odor at all. Is it possible that the other torch stung it and it caused a panic response from the other torch? Maybe it was a release of zooxanthelea? Under the microscope, it does look like this: https://c8.alamy.com/comp/CNY672/mi...zooxanthellae-of-the-dinoflagellat-CNY672.jpg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back