Brown slime in sump

bigbsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone first time posting to the forum. I've read it and looked for advice for a long time. I have a 9 month old mixed reef tank. I've noticed over the past 3 or 4 weeks my filter socks have been clogging badly. Well tonight I heard them overflowing and found this thick brown slime all over the socks. It's so thick they where holding water. I am dosing manually to maintain my levels. Calcium every other day, mag every day levels are low and I'm trying to get them up. Plus a little baking soda every 4 or 5 days to maintain alkalinity. Parameters are:
Alkalinity 10
Calcium 380
Magnesium 450
Ph 8.2
Nitrate 7

Pictures of display and sump socks.

20241008_193904.jpg 20241008_193034.jpg

OP
OP
B

bigbsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why so high on the alkalinity?

What corals and livestock are in the display?
Alkalinity jumped with my last water change on Sunday. I haven't dosed since. I'm using instant ocean reaf crystals. Alkalinity was at 5 before water change. I have a duncan, pavona, several zoa colonies, green hairy mushroom and one 12" rainbow bta

FUNGI

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity jumped with my last water change on Sunday. I haven't dosed since. I'm using instant ocean reaf crystals. Alkalinity was at 5 before water change. I have a duncan, pavona, several zoa colonies, green hairy mushroom and one 12" rainbow bta
Unpopular Opinion....
With just those corals in the system, you really dont need to dose anything....except that mag....

OP
OP
B

bigbsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the algae that grows in the high flow areas of my seed tank filter,
I suppose it could be. It's very high does right there. I keep a power head running in that areas too. What i will say was it was the slimeyist thing I've ever touched. I've never seen algea like it. Literally could barely hold on to the filter socks. They where so clogged with it they where holding water.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone first time posting to the forum. I've read it and looked for advice for a long time. I have a 9 month old mixed reef tank. I've noticed over the past 3 or 4 weeks my filter socks have been clogging badly. Well tonight I heard them overflowing and found this thick brown slime all over the socks. It's so thick they where holding water. I am dosing manually to maintain my levels. Calcium every other day, mag every day levels are low and I'm trying to get them up. Plus a little baking soda every 4 or 5 days to maintain alkalinity. Parameters are:
Alkalinity 10
Calcium 380
Magnesium 450
Ph 8.2
Nitrate 7

Pictures of display and sump socks.

20241008_193904.jpg 20241008_193034.jpg
Magnesium 450? You mean 1450 right?

Your alkalinity is too high compared to calcium. Looks like a precipitation issue to me.

OP
OP
B

bigbsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Magnesium 450? You mean 1450 right?

Your alkalinity is too high compared to calcium. Looks like a precipitation issue to me.
No my stuff got all out of whack. I'm new to having a tank like this. I started with a 30 and only fish. I'm working on getting my mag up. Alkalinity jumped with my last water change.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No my stuff got all out of whack. I'm new to having a tank like this. I started with a 30 and only fish. I'm working on getting my mag up. Alkalinity jumped with my last water change.
Your water parameters are literally physically impossible. They would be past the solubility of an aqueous mixture containing ca/mg ions . I am now certain this is an precipitation issue and the brown slime is either magnesium carbonate or calcium carbonate. Check how you measure your parameters because your posted ones are definitely wrong. Either user error or faulty test kit. And stop dosing for now.

Mix a new batch of salt water and try your measurements there.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your water parameters are literally physically impossible. They would be past the solubility of an aqueous mixture containing ca/mg ions . I am now certain this is an precipitation issue and the brown slime is either magnesium carbonate or calcium carbonate. Check how you measure your parameters because your posted ones are definitely wrong. Either user error or faulty test kit. And stop dosing for now.

@bigbsreef
I agree with the above post. I don’t believe the numbers that you posted with respect to alkalinity & pH unless you saw a snowstorm precipitation of magnesium carbonate.

OP
OP
B

bigbsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmmm interesting. I am using a red sea test kit i bought about 7 years ago. Maybe the alkalinity test expired? I did my calcium test twice and got 460 each time. Mag test was the same 450. Alkalinity went down to 9.5 according to my test. My ph and alkalinity test kit are both from that red sea kit. I suppose I should replace them.

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm interesting. I am using a red sea test kit i bought about 7 years ago. Maybe the alkalinity test expired? I did my calcium test twice and got 460 each time. Mag test was the same 450. Alkalinity went down to 9.5 according to my test. My ph and alkalinity test kit are both from that red sea kit. I suppose I should replace them.
Do what Tavero suggested

“Mix a new batch of salt water and try your measurements there.”

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're using 7 year old test kits and reagents??

OP
OP
B

bigbsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@bigbsreef
I agree with the above post. I don’t believe the numbers that you posted with respect to alkalinity & pH unless you saw a snowstorm precipitation of magnesium carbonate.
OK so my test of a fresh batch of water was 9.5 dkh. Verified twice. Internet says I should have 11 with this salt. It's this deviation within the batch or my kit?

Also is this why I'm growing this some/algae?

OP
OP
B

bigbsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK so my test of a fresh batch of water was 9.5 dkh. Verified twice. Internet says I should have 11 with this salt. It's this deviation within the batch or my kit?

Also is this why I'm growing this some/algae?
OK so I absolutely have a learning disability i misread my mag test. So current parameters are

Alkalinity 9.5
Calcium 460
Mag 975
Ph 8.2
Nitrate 7

HOW ARE YOUR CORALS DOING TODAY? HONEST ANSWERS ONLY!

• Everything seems to be doing great!

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Almost everything is doing good!

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Some are doing good, others not so much...

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • They're okay, I guess.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • They're not doing too well right now.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not good at all...

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 1 10.0%
Back