BTA losing color. Not enough light?

Nadiaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a BTA which has become very small and pale in color. I have had it for maybe 2-3 months. It has been sitting the same place ever since day 3. It sits in the top of the tank, at night under a rock, and at day I crawls on the side of the rock. It sits very close to a Xenia, is that a problem for the anemone?

It has become very pale and very small, and I am wondering if I don't give it enough light. I do not run the lights very strong due to Cyano and some green hair algae. My light is a Red Sea 90. I feed it with pellets for anemones about 3-4 times a week, and sometimes frozen mysis.

The first picture are from 24 of June, and the second are from yesterday, and today it is even smaller :/

IMG_9036.jpeg IMG_9875.jpg IMG_9958.jpg

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run numbers & share results. Could be more than just lighting but that’s difficult to tell with out parameter readings. The presence of GHA & cyano is an indication that there are issues with the system that need to be corrected, those corrections could lead in recovering the anemone back to its original conditions. It would help others in the forum in providing good advice if parameter reading can be shared. Good luck

OP
OP
Nadiaa

Nadiaa

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my most recent ICP test https://lab.faunamarin.de/en/share/analysis/151018

I have since then added Fauna Marine Iodine, Iron and Fluoride and my salinity is now 1.025.

My recent values:
Alkalinity: 7.3
Nitrate: 15.5
Phospate: 0.14
Calcium: 425
Magnesium: 1410
PH: 8
Nitrite: 0.1

I also dose with All-for-reef and bacto therapy.

Northern Flicker

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your parameters look good.

Xenia is not a problem. My RBTAs grew right inside large fields of Xenia. If anything, it would tick of the Xenia since anemones are very potent stingers.

For the loss of colour, my best guess is that your spectrum is different from where the anemone was originally. Perhaps you are running a lot more white, so the anemone has adjusted with more brown zoos. The anemone itself looks quite happy.

My recommendation would be to crank your blues up a little bit and stop feeding it so often. Give it a few weeks then once weekly.

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 37 56.9%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 24 36.9%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back