Bubble algae

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve just noticed some bubble algae appearing on a mini colony. Luckily I can remove the zoas without issue. Is it treatable?

IMG_2575.jpeg

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the rock and use tweezers to take of the bubbles great , try not to pop them and if you do then once removed take a toothbrush and give a scrub to that area and rinse with tank water so you don’t introduce spores

OP
OP
spamvicious

spamvicious

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the rock and use tweezers to take of the bubbles great , try not to pop them and if you do then once removed take a toothbrush and give a scrub to that area and rinse with tank water so you don’t introduce spores
So I just need to try remove them out of the tank?. Is it worth dipping the rock again while I’m at it?

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont worry about popping them as there are no spores present in bubble algae, lol. Common misconception about bubble algae.
Just remove as many as you can. Emerald crabs will keep it under control as long as you remove as much as you can before it spreads.
Removing the rock is sometimes easier if there are alot of bubbles to remove.
Dont wait as they spread if you look at them, lol.

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont worry about popping them as there are no spores present in bubble algae, lol. Common misconception about bubble algae.
Just remove as many as you can. Emerald crabs will keep it under control as long as you remove as much as you can before it spreads.
Removing the rock is sometimes easier if there are alot of bubbles to remove.
Dont wait as they spread if you look at them, lol.
If that’s the case how do they spread from one area to another some distance away?

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If you can remove the zoa, take the rock out, scrape off all the bubble algae you can see, then hit the area with some peroxide. You should then be good
…yeah, don’t worry about escaping tissue …
…peroxide is very effective and most zoas are reasonably tolerant of treatment
…emerald crabs do eat it but usually pass by the larger tear-dropped shaped stuff

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae, scientifically known as *Valonia ventricosa* or *Ventricaria ventricosa*, primarily reproduce asexually through a process called vegetative reproduction. Here's how it works:

1. **Cell Division**: Bubble algae are unique in that each organism is essentially a single, large cell. This cell can divide to form smaller cells, which eventually grow into new individuals.

2. **Fragmentation**: If the bubble algae are damaged or fragmented, each piece can develop into a new organism. This makes them particularly resilient in marine environments and challenging to remove from aquariums.

Some species of bubble algae can also reproduce sexually, involving the fusion of gametes, but the most common method in most environments is asexual reproduction through cell division and fragmentation.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that’s the case how do they spread from one area to another some distance away?
Do some research its out there. Again this is common reefing 101 misinformation.
…yeah, don’t worry about escaping tissue …
…peroxide is very effective and most zoas are reasonably tolerant of treatment
…emeral crabs do eat it but not the larger tear-dropped shaped stuff
Yea the big stiff needs to be removed but they will keep it at bay if you have enough of them.
I have 8 in my current ext 170. All live rock start so bubble algae is present. The crabs keep it mostly unseen as you have to look for it.

They are like snails that wont eat hair algae if it gets to long so keeping it under control by manualy removing to start helps alot.

ZzyzxRiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposedly female emerald crabs (they are easy to distinguish) are better for bubble algae and less likely to nip at corals. Mine has gone after every bubble that’s ever popped up in my tank. However, she also nips at some of my decorative macroalgae—I think it’s to try and get nuisance algae that’s grown onto it but has caused damage nonetheless. On balance I would say they’re worth it, but you need to get one before the problem gets too big.

scotty333

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find manual removal has better success , take aiptasia for instance
People buy reef safe with caution fish to eat them but you always need that fish to keep them at bay
Copperbandd are notoriously hard to keep for many long term , filefish can go rogue on you
You end up with a load of fish or inverts you don’t want to keep pests at bay
Doesn’t make sense to me

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back