Buying List 40 Gallon Breeder Reef Tank

TylerAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never kept a saltwater tank before and I wanted to get some help with creating my first reef. I'd like to do corals at some point so I know I'm going to want a sump, heater, skimmer, and a light (if I'm remembering right might have forgotten something). I was wondering if anyone could send me some links on what exactly to buy, especially for the sump. I already have a 20 gallon or a 10 gallon I can use as it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I've never kept a saltwater tank before and I wanted to get some help with creating my first reef. I'd like to do corals at some point so I know I'm going to want a sump, heater, skimmer, and a light (if I'm remembering right might have forgotten something). I was wondering if anyone could send me some links on what exactly to buy, especially for the sump. I already have a 20 gallon or a 10 gallon I can use as it.
Some grouping would be:
Gobies (fire fish)
Dwarf angels (flame)
Blennies ( tail spot)
Basslet (diadems)
Cardinal (banggai or pajama)
Shrimp (cleaner or blood red)

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just set up a 40 breeder.
Here’s the build thread (has all of the equipment I’m using):
For stocking I currently have an aurora goby in the tank, as well as a coral beauty angel and longnose hawkfish in qt. I plan to get a blenny of sorts, probably a wrasse (also unsure of species, and ideally get my clown in there (but she’s still in prison for murder).

OP
OP
T

TylerAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually just set up a 40 breeder.
Here’s the build thread (has all of the equipment I’m using):
For stocking I currently have an aurora goby in the tank, as well as a coral beauty angel and longnose hawkfish in qt. I plan to get a blenny of sorts, probably a wrasse (also unsure of species, and ideally get my clown in there (but she’s still in prison for murder).
This is perfect and is just what I needed thank you. I personally am planning on putting in a tomato clownfish pair, royal gramma, 3 Cardinalfish, and maybe a firefish. Not sure if thats too much fish for corals though

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking sounds fine to me - though to my knowledge tomato clowns can be one of the meanest and may not work out with a firefish. I don’t know much about cardinals.

OP
OP
T

TylerAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stocking sounds fine to me - though to my knowledge tomato clowns can be one of the meanest and may not work out with a firefish. I don’t know much about cardinals.
I'm fine with not being able to keep the firefish. Tomatoes have to be one of my favorite saltwater fish so I wouldn't even mind if I had to keep them as a paid alone if I had to. Now the only I need is some help for the sump

OP
OP
T

TylerAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also did you not use a protein skimmer for your 40 build? And how was the experience with using a hob as a pose to a sump?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a skimmer, though that may be subject to change over time.
So far the hob has been working great, the tidal has lots of room for media to put in. I’m sure it doesn’t compare to the filtration provided by a sump though.

OP
OP
T

TylerAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a skimmer, though that may be subject to change over time.
So far the hob has been working great, the tidal has lots of room for media to put in. I’m sure it doesn’t compare to the filtration provided by a sump though.
Nice dude. I looked into that filter and it looks fantastic, especially for the price, but I know I'm going to want to upgrade to a sump sometime and I doubt I'd be able to drill a hole in a tank with livestock in it lol. I'm still considering not doing a sump though. Do you have corals in the 40 and if so how are they with the hob?

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice dude. I looked into that filter and it looks fantastic, especially for the price, but I know I'm going to want to upgrade to a sump sometime and I doubt I'd be able to drill a hole in a tank with livestock in it lol. I'm still considering not doing a sump though. Do you have corals in the 40 and if so how are they with the hob?
I also have a powerhead attached for extra flow. The sicce voyage nano 2000. The hob alone wouldn’t give enough flow.
My tank was set up as an upgrade so all the corals from my 13.5 went right in. It immediately had a few leathers, frogspawns, zoas, palys, gsp, cloves, Xenia, blasto, litho, lepto, acan, gorgonian, torch, a shroom, and favia. I also recently added a bta and a Duncan. Everything is doing great as of today!
The corals do great with the hob, but like I said it won’t give enough flow for the whole tank. The corals directly under the hob should be higher flow ones as they are going to get pounded by the water.

OP
OP
T

TylerAquatics

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a powerhead attached for extra flow. The sicce voyage nano 2000. The hob alone wouldn’t give enough flow.
My tank was set up as an upgrade so all the corals from my 13.5 went right in. It immediately had a few leathers, frogspawns, zoas, palys, gsp, cloves, Xenia, blasto, litho, lepto, acan, gorgonian, torch, a shroom, and favia. I also recently added a bta and a Duncan. Everything is doing great as of today!
The corals do great with the hob, but like I said it won’t give enough flow for the whole tank. The corals directly under the hob should be higher flow ones as they are going to get pounded by the water.
Nice! I already have some powerheads so I should be good. If I go with the hob then all I'll probably need is a skimmer. I have a hob skimmer but it's huge and only usable in a tall tank. It's worth 300 dollars so I'm selling it to get some more money for the project. All the smaller protein skimmers I've found are sump only sadly :/

CRD23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my first saltwater tank (same 40 G breeder) a couple of months ago. I have the same intention to introduce corals at some point. Here is my list of what you need before introducing first fish (apart from tank and stand)

1.Reef Rock - I used dry reef rock 20 lb
2. Live sand - I used 20 lb
3. Some kind of bacteria starter - Dr Tim's or Fritz TurboStart as an example
4. RODI - at least 50 G. Preferably 75.
5. Salt - I found Instant Ocean to be the cheapest on Amazon and Chewy.com
6. Buckets (5 G) to haul around the water

Alternately you can buy Saltwater from LFS and avoid initial outflow of RODI.

7. Heater
8. Powerhead
9. Refractometer or Hydrometer
10. Tank Lid - you can DIY using stuff available on Amazon.
11. Testing Kit - Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate for Nictrogen cycle + preferably pH and Alkalinity. This is most important.

there are lot of opinions on this forum. But I think lights can wait until you are ready for corals. My tank doesnt have lights. It had two Oscillaris Clownfish & 1 Sailfin Molley. Plus some clean up crew. One Clownfish didnt survive. The other two fish seem to be doing fine.

Skimmer - I have one Tunze 9004. But I havent introduced in the tank as yet. My local LFS advised me to wait for 2 -3 months for the tank to break-in.

Sump - dont have. I may add mechanical filtration at at some point.

WOULD YOU EVER CONSIDER HAVING A FOWLR TANK? WHAT WOULD BE YOUR FIRST FISH?

• Yes!

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • No...

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I already have one!

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • I did have one, but I don't anymore...

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back