Can anyone ID?

EmtJared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm new to the hobby and just got a Hammer coral frag in and it has this odd lightning/spiderweb pattern on it. Can anyone ID if this is a disease or anything I should be concerned about?

1000009450.jpg

OP
OP
E

EmtJared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very much adhered. I took a scalpel to it and it seemed like it was nearly flush with the skeleton. Didn't really appear to be raised at all, it was smooth to the touch.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm new to the hobby and just got a Hammer coral frag in and it has this odd lightning/spiderweb pattern on it. Can anyone ID if this is a disease or anything I should be concerned about?

1000009450.jpg
Any chance you could get some microscope or otherwise magnified pics? My first thought would be a bryozoan of some kind, but I definitely don't know for sure from the pic.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

1000009450.jpg
Looks to be hydroids but need closer pic under brighter light

OP
OP
E

EmtJared

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you guys, I'll see about getting it under some magnification and brighter lighting. I'll post another picture when I get a hold of some magnification.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1000010061.jpg
This is the best image I could get of it. I don't have a microscope but this is under a magnifying glass.
Fascinating - an encrusting bryozoan would be my first guess (I'd say probably better than 50% odds), but I can't say for sure.

The only hydroids I know that look like this are Stylasterid hydrocorals, but they wouldn't be growing that close to the coral skeleton (there are technically two encrusting Stylasterid species both in the Stylantheca genus, but they have a totally different growth pattern).

I never finish anythi

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fascinating - an encrusting bryozoan would be my first guess (I'd say probably better than 50% odds), but I can't say for sure.

The only hydroids I know that look like this are Stylasterid hydrocorals, but they wouldn't be growing that close to the coral skeleton (there are technically two encrusting Stylasterid species both in the Stylantheca genus, but they have a totally different growth pattern).
I will try and get a picture of the ones I got today . Few on some rock and on a conch shell .

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back