Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_3717.JPG

IMG_3719.JPG

IMG_3718.JPG

So i found my carpenter flasher wrasse dead this morning. He did not have any visible spots on him, i have not seen him scratching against the rocks, but i have noticed he has been hiding quite alot and sometimes i have thought he was breathing fast. I have also noticed his tail fin has been damaged and he also stopped flashing other fish like he used to. Overall not as confident, more scared.

On top of this im fighting dinos right now, so my lights are very dim and im in the tank alot removing dinos, which seems to stress the fish.

I also introduced two new fish recently, a firefish goby and a mandarin. The mandarin also died but i thought that was because he did not eat enough, he was very skinny when i got him.

What makes me worry about parasites is that the mandarin died and that i have briefly seen some of my other fish scratch against rocks about 2 weeks ago, but that stopped.

I dipped the dead fish in fw but nothing came off him, i checked the gills and they were pinkish red.

IMG_3717.JPG

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
IMG_3717.JPG

IMG_3719.JPG

IMG_3718.JPG

So i found my carpenter flasher wrasse dead this morning. He did not have any visible spots on him, i have not seen him scratching against the rocks, but i have noticed he has been hiding quite alot and sometimes i have thought he was breathing fast. I have also noticed his tail fin has been damaged and he also stopped flashing other fish like he used to. Overall not as confident, more scared.

On top of this im fighting dinos right now, so my lights are very dim and im in the tank alot removing dinos, which seems to stress the fish.

I also introduced two new fish recently, a firefish goby and a mandarin. The mandarin also died but i thought that was because he did not eat enough, he was very skinny when i got him.

What makes me worry about parasites is that the mandarin died and that i have briefly seen some of my other fish scratch against rocks about 2 weeks ago, but that stopped.

I dipped the dead fish in fw but nothing came off him, i checked the gills and they were pinkish red.

IMG_3717.JPG
The scratching you mentioned and the swollen red gill point to flukes as a suspect cause. Other signs would have been change in appetite, loss of color and elevated breathing

OP
OP
V

Vetekli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scratching you mentioned and the swollen red gill point to flukes as a suspect cause. Other signs would have been change in appetite, loss of color and elevated breathing
I only noticed possibly elevated breathing and hiding. I did not see him scratch but other fish. I did see my royal gramma chase him abit. Since he was hiding he wasnt eating as much, but i did see him eat.

I think its so hard to tell if the gills look good or bad. I dont know what they are supposed to look like. Do they look bad in the photo?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only noticed possibly elevated breathing and hiding. I did not see him scratch but other fish. I did see my royal gramma chase him abit. Since he was hiding he wasnt eating as much, but i did see him eat.

I think its so hard to tell if the gills look good or bad. I dont know what they are supposed to look like. Do they look bad in the photo?

The gills do look a bit pale, however, when a fish dies, their gills turn pale in a matter of hours. if the fish was freshly dead, then yes, it had anemia. if it had been dead for an hour or more before the photo was taken, it may just be normal discoloration after death.

OP
OP
V

Vetekli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The gills do look a bit pale, however, when a fish dies, their gills turn pale in a matter of hours. if the fish was freshly dead, then yes, it had anemia. if it had been dead for an hour or more before the photo was taken, it may just be normal discoloration after death.
It was probably at least a few hours after, he died during the night. The photo was about an hour after i saw he was dead.

OP
OP
V

Vetekli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang it now im worried about my leopard wrasse. He seems to be breathing quite fast and hides more. But all fish seem a bit spooked, probably because of me removing dinos every day.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang it now im worried about my leopard wrasse. He seems to be breathing quite fast and hides more. But all fish seem a bit spooked, probably because of me removing dinos every day.

I don't know a lot about them (never had issues - knock on wood!) but don't some dinoflagellates release toxins into the water?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back