Centropyge resplendens

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any of these angels left in the hobby, i know their importation from ancesion has been banned but i remember seeing captive bred ones on reef builders a while ago, not that i want one but im just curious if theres any left

Phycodurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Centropyge angels are my first love ... wish I had a tank for each species lol. That’s a pretty one!

upload_2019-7-1_10-9-14.jpeg

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Centropyge angels are my first love ... wish I had a tank for each species lol. That’s a pretty one!

upload_2019-7-1_10-9-14.jpeg
Yea too bad its no longer imported along with the oblique butterfly or its counterpart cant remember which, both very intriguing fish. I love centropyge too aswell as paracentropyge of course lol

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, they look so cool, almost like hedgehogs lol, wish they allowed a few to be imported and donated to aquaculture facilites to CB them, but i doubt that will happen. Prognathodes has to be my favourite butterfly genus

That would be sweet! to see a steady stream of CB Ascension fish. Though I am not sure any Prognathodes have ever spawned in captivity. So little research has been done on their behavior or mating. Some anecdotal experiences I read, of P. aya, suggest that they may only form pairs to spawn. There is so much diversity in the mating behaviors of the Chaetodontidae family.
I really under appreciated the family until my SO bought me my Burgess, its a fascinating family. It would be so hard to decide between the Roaops, vs Prognathodes, for subgroups of the butterflyfish. Chelmon is so over rated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be sweet! to see a steady stream of CB Ascension fish. Though I am not sure any Prognathodes have ever spawned in captivity. So little research has been done on their behavior or mating. Some anecdotal experiences I read, of P. aya suggest that they may only form pairs to spawn. There is so much diversity in the mating behaviors of the Chaetodontidae family.
I really under appreciated the family until my SO bought me my Burgess, its a fascinating family. It would be so hard to decide between the Roaops, vs Prognathodes, for subgroups of the butterflyfish. Chelmon is so over rated.

Yea the copperband butterflies are over rated imo. Really want a burgess or mitratus, but a prognathodes aculeatus would be cool too one of my favourites though it seems some find it unappealing. P.Basabei is another favourite, but the oblique and dichrous just look so unusual and unique so its hard to choose a favourite lol

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The girlfriend likes the P. aculeatus I like P. Aya. The whole family has that funky weird beauty. The P. Basabei is gorgeous, however for my money looks a little too much like a burgess or multibar and other butterflies for the 4-5 figure price tag.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea true, P.Aya is beautiful too, also marcellas butterfly lol just so many. Another fish id like to see CB with a limited amount imported to aquaculture is Chaetodon smithi

Last edited:
OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Easter islands Fisheries closed or is it just that its so restricted that no fish are imported from there. Quite like chaetodon litus and the centropyge hotumatoa

pcon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure anyone is permitted to collect there. They also are not a tropical species so require cooler tanks than most of our reefs for long term health. sub 75f for C. hotumatua, from the one or two contemporary people who have attempted them. I think Frank Baensch attempted to breed a pair. Rumor has it that pair was sold to a collector, who kept them with other cool water fish. Those were the most recent individuals in the hobby that I am aware of. This is all forum hearsay of course.

OP
OP
Angel_Anthias lover

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure anyone is permitted to collect there. They also are not a tropical species so require cooler tanks than most of our reefs for long term health. sub 75f for C. hotumatua, from the one or two contemporary people who have attempted them. I think Frank Baensch attempted to breed a pair. Rumor has it that pair was sold to a collector, who kept them with other cool water fish. Those were the most recent individuals in the hobby that I am aware of. This is all forum hearsay of course.

Aw thats unfotunate, i really like the look of the Easter island butterflyfish, thanks for thr info

Back