Coming Soon! Hydros SOLE continuous duty 300ml/min smart doser

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well regardless of the people in this forum that don’t own, or use hydros commenting on the rebranding, blah blah blah or it doesn’t make sense to them.. this is just “their opinions” and they have never used or or had hands on with it..

I am for one excited for this release and to Incorporate Into my system. I plan to use it for Kalk
You don't have to buy into the ecosystem to know what value is.

I bought a hydros and it didn't take long to sell it.

Time will tell if this pump lives up the the price tag.

And of course in hydros defense, a product should never be the same price as the sum of all parts. There's perceived value in the brand and if the price is right for you, then make the purchase.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Semantics. Sorry their rebranded Kamoer doser that has to be hooked to a drive port instead of a standard outlet. Its the exact same as the Kamoer F1. They just rebranded and turned the wifi/bluetooth off and flipped the pump head the opposite direction.
there is no wifi logic in the Hydros doser and you can get the Kamoer doser power supply and use it on AC but it will run when powered up there is no logic in the pump to turn it on or off. If it gets power it runs. I have one I use as ATO and I have looked inside it there is no PC board in the pump.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said, the I don't get many of the choices made in this ecosystem. It is not a single design choice or feature, but the totality. I have no hands on with the software or hardware, but do see many happy customers and my opinion is just that, my opinion.
They all look like they are just built on an existing standardized Raspberry Pi controller. And whatever dodads that exist that plug into them.

And the 'ecosystem' is just a programmer saying in a meeting, "Hey you know what else we can make it do?" "If we plug Thisamodule in, we can make it do Thatamathing"

Product manager says, "Do that then, bring it to the next meeting and show us"

It saves considerable development time and cost

That's why everything has a controller, they are not reinventing the wheel for each thing they want to develop. Which means there is a wheel on every part of the car.

"Why does your driver seat have a wheel attached to it?" "Hey, my stereo has a wheel attached to it, that's weird"

That's why there is controller attached to a $40 pump, and sells for $300. /shrug. It would have taken years to build it up from scratch. This probably took weeks to make

Last edited:

braaap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
there is no wifi logic in the Hydros doser and you can get the Kamoer doser power supply and use it on AC but it will run when powered up there is no logic in the pump to turn it on or off. If it gets power it runs. I have one I use as ATO and I have looked inside it there is no PC board in the pump.

The point is it is a rebranded Kamoer pump. They just made some small tweaks to it to limit its usefulness and to fit into their line.

I have one as well.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm getting Deja vu. Didn't we do this already when the orbit launched?

BZOFIQ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Really? In 18 years of owning Ecotech products I've not once had a failure. They replaced a wetside for me that I broke. Didn't even question it. My current pumps are 5+ years old and don't make a whisper of a noise. Blanket statements don't really work.

YMMV but its easy to see problems here with the 1-star reviews, your experience doesn't reflect mine. I would never buy anything ecotech....except the sponges for my OP4 powerheads :)

You buy what works for you.

The amazon link earlier is VERY similar to the one they are using. They likely just changed the hose orientation. Their X10 uses Kaomer F4 pumps. Literally the exact ones. About the only thing they manufacture specifically for the Hydros is the sensors. Like their triple optical sensor and their slim temp probe. But their Salinity, PH and ORP probes are all off the shelf solutions as well. Not even rebranded.

They have different stepper pump heads on A-Z with side loaded hoses, I didnt link those as they have much higher listed flow rates.

Here is the one that matches more or perhaps exactly...but that wasnt the point.

1718686176442.png

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The point is it is a rebranded Kamoer pump. They just made some small tweaks to it to limit its usefulness and to fit into their line.

I have one as well.
Why do they have the tubing ports stick out left and right like Pippy Longstocking?

BiggestE22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They all look like they are just built on an existing standardized Raspberry Pi controller. And whatever dodads that exist that plug into them.

And the 'ecosystem' is just a programmer saying in a meeting, "Hey you know what else we can make it do?" "If we plug Thisamodule in, we can make it do Thatamathing"

Product manager says, "Do that then, bring it to the next meeting and show us"

It saves considerable development time and cost

That's why everything has a controller, they are not reinventing the wheel for each thing they want to develop. Which means there is a wheel on every part of the car.

"Why does your driver seat have a wheel attached to it?" "Hey, my stereo has a wheel attached to it, that's weird"

That's why there is controller attached to a $40 pump, and sells for $300. /shrug. It would have taken years to build it up from scratch. This probably took weeks to make
It’s a shiny new thing. Not saying it’s brand new. I may be an Apex fanboy but I like the 20+ year solid track record.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no problem with them (or anybody) rebranding a component, especially a specialty component, or marking the price up. You are paying for the integration, branding, ecosystems, customer service, etc.

I just don't care for the product line at this point for various reasons. However, it does appeal to many and the price appears to be in-line with what those people are willing to pay.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree

GHL has spent years hyping their fish feeder for the ProfiLux

In the end, they just used a $35 wifi Chinese fish feeder, adapted it, and sell it for $90

I don't think they make their own peristaltic pumps, no one does

BZOFIQ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
GHL has spent years hyping their fish feeder for the ProfiLux

In the end, they just used a $35 wifi Chinese fish feeder, adapted it, and sell it for $90

Avast took the long way out and created the best feeder on the market.

OP
OP
JeffB418

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
agreed head and rollers likely totally different.....this might be the exact one

personally I am a huge fan of when companies use off the shelf parts when it comes to wear items. makes maintenance easier and I don't feel like I am locked into a proprietary part that either is unobtainium or expensive.

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no problem with them (or anybody) rebranding a component, especially a specialty component, or marking the price up. You are paying for the integration, branding, ecosystems, customer service, etc.

I just don't care for the product line at this point for various reasons. However, it does appeal to many and the price appears to be in-line with what those people are willing to pay.

Yep, exactly, the baseline part is only a small part of the equation, it's the integration that we're paying for here. It's a computer with a pump on it if we're being honest.

Personally, I prefer the infinite scalability model. While yes, I have to constantly re-buy the "brain" for each module, it's scalable and doesn't focus on proprietary design and single points of failure. It's a pretty good value proposition.

Different strokes, and all that.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, exactly, the baseline part is only a small part of the equation, it's the integration that we're paying for here. It's a computer with a pump on it if we're being honest.

Personally, I prefer the infinite scalability model. While yes, I have to constantly re-buy the "brain" for each module, it's scalable and doesn't focus on proprietary design and single points of failure. It's a pretty good value proposition.

Different strokes, and all that.
I doubt that there is a large expense difference in the microprocessors used in the controllers compared to a microprocessor used in a module. The main difference is firmware in a module only allows slave mode operations that are directly controlled by a main brain which also has a expense to it. If you distribute the main brain cost to the modules they is probably not much difference in price. Yes the controller may be a little more in Hydros but you so not have to pay for that main brain to begin with.

Last edited:

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sole is finally in stock! Talk about high quality, they are built very very well

saltcreep74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1718376191873.png

Coming soon (out in Sept 2024) is the new Hydros SOLE single head, continuous duty dosing pump.
- 0.1ml/min to 300ml/min configurable for either continuous mode or scheduled dosing
- super quiet operation even at full speed
- has Hydros brain, can control upto 8 hydros wifi devices. can be run stand alone or in a collective. also becomes a "power giver" in collective situations
- 1/4" rodi hose push connects
- $299

nice shiny gadget... but overpriced for what it is...allot of good wi-fi smart dosers out there for less.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nice shiny gadget... but overpriced for what it is...allot of good wi-fi smart dosers out there for less.
Are they designed for continuous use at higher flow rates. I use one for my ATO pump. It pumps from the DI reservoir in the garage up through the attic to the tank 35ft away. That may not be the intended use but it works. It would also be good for reactor pumps and AWC.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back