Coralife UV Sterilizer

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 9 watt turbo twist that I used back in 2007 for a few months. Cleaning out my basement low and behold I found it. Just started up a reefer 170 and figured I would use the unit in the system. Did some reviews and I guess these things rust from the aluminum reflector? Trying to figure out what I am missing with this thing as I don't see any aluminum in it at all. Just looks like a cheap plastic unit.

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That unit is going to do anything in a tank the size of a RS 170. It "may" clarify the water slightly but doubt it will be noticeable. Remove it, not worth the risk IMO.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 9 watt turbo twist that I used back in 2007 for a few months. Cleaning out my basement low and behold I found it. Just started up a reefer 170 and figured I would use the unit in the system. Did some reviews and I guess these things rust from the aluminum reflector? Trying to figure out what I am missing with this thing as I don't see any aluminum in it at all. Just looks like a cheap plastic unit.
I just bought a second hand one ...when I opened it up I could see the rust on the aluminum reflector.....I'm not gonna use mine ...I really dont trust it ....

RobZilla04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a second hand one ...when I opened it up I could see the rust on the aluminum reflector.....I'm not gonna use mine ...I really dont trust it ....

The problem I found with my Aqua UV w/ wiper Sterilizer is that when O2 remains in the unit, any metal can rust/corrode. The wiper seal nuts, arm, and another component were all rusted on mine. Needless to say it's been a painful process to remove the excess Tin & Aluminum as found by ATI Lab tests. So if yours rusted, expect the next one to rust as well.

I removed mine a couple of months ago and noticed no difference in water quality. It's a debatable topic whether they can sterilize effectively enough to prevent disease.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So I have a dumb question. Where is the aluminum reflector? My until.doesnt have any aluminum in it all. Wasn't sure what I was missing.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Split it in half like this ...
20190108_234603.jpg

Then look on the inside behind the plastic spacer
20190108_234638.jpg

You see the reflector rusting ..its worse inside..
This is where the water travels past the light ...I believe coralife said the corrosion was the same as what you will find in gfo and that ...for me rust of any kind is a no no .. so I won't be using this unless I can remove the reflector..not sure how difficult that will be , and then the light won't work as effectively...

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a dumb question. Where is the aluminum reflector? My until.doesnt have any aluminum in it all. Wasn't sure what I was missing.
Yours could be one of the early models that never had them maybe...

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take. Look at this photo. It looks different.

20190108_180100.jpg
I think you said this was from 2007 if I remember ...it certainly looks like one of the earlier models ...I think you should be ok .....if that's the case

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I think UV Sterilizers are just a gimmick... :)

In my experience with them, they definitely work for water clarification. They are effective against bacterial and algae blooms. Against pathogens, most hobby grade units are undersized and under powered.

justmee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience with them, they definitely work for water clarification. They are effective against bacterial and algae blooms. Against pathogens, most hobby grade units are undersized and under powered.
Right... that's why IMO I think it's a gimmick. Coralife sells these small 9 watt units which I think are just sales gimmicks which really are not beneficial...

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After college I worked at a pretty reputable public aquarium and on all the sw systems we used aqua UV’s. They are really good at what they do, it’s just more difficult with reefs because you don’t want to over do it.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right... that's why IMO I think it's a gimmick. Coralife sells these small 9 watt units which I think are just sales gimmicks which really are not beneficial...

I personally use a 10watt pond UV on my 180 total volume system and it works very well at water clarity. I only use it when my water starts to become a little cloudy.

OP
OP
Huskymaniac

Huskymaniac

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

9 watts on a 30 gallon tank could be pretty big unit. You should never look at overall watts. It's more of contact time to the unit and flow rate. I would think running 60 gph through the unit would be enough to kill anything that goes through it.

HOW ARE YOU FIGHTING NUISANCE ALGAE RIGHT NOW?

• Clean-Up Crew

Votes: 33 84.6%
  • Algae-Eating Fish

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Light Adjustments

Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Nutrient Adjustments

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 9 23.1%
Back